• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Presenting SBR Stamp

Got Stamps?

Present them...
southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com_images_shows_south_park_clip_t0625758e1716dcff95b8bd2d882b68eb.jpg

Funny how I went to Govenors Gun Club tonight with the same rifle and no one requested anything, only a few comments about how nice it was!

In Georgia, proper registration of your NFA weapon/ device is an AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE.
See Code section 16-11-125. When it says "... it shall not be necessary [for the State] to negative any exception, excuse, provisio, or exemption..." that means it's what the law calls an affirmative defense.

That means it's up to YOU to assert it. If a cop is talking to you and you want to avoid arrest, assert it early. Prove you are legal.
If you want to get arrested, fine, that's your choice. You can then have your lawyer present your "affirmative defense" to the DA's office before they indict you and formally haul you into Superior Court on felony charges (O.C.G.A. 16-11-122 and 123).

All of this is a bit off-topic for the OP, who asked about a private business owner wanting a customer to prove that the NFA item is something the customer can legally possess.
But even there, I'd show the federal transfer application, approved with the stamp (a COPY of it, I mean. I don't carry the original with me).
If I have a trust and it's not my name, I'd just verbally assure this private business person that I'm a Trustee on that trust.
If the name of the Trust incorporates my own name, that ought to satisfy them.
If not, at that point I agree it's best to just take your business elsewhere and write them off as too difficult to work with and too scared to deal with NFA-shooting gun lovers.
Showing the actual Trust document to some employee of a gun shop is not something I'd do or recommend.
You lose too much privacy, and it would just take too darn long to read the Trust in full anyway, when you've got places to go and things to do.

I have watched this topic for some time…read all 17 pages with great interest in hearing from the owner of the establishment in question.

I will tell you I have had some debates with some of the most idiotic people at gun ranges…OFTEN times it was an EMPLOYEE of that range (not the range in question) while shooting my SBRs or suppressed (or both).

I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked "Do you have your FFL for that?" or "Do you have your license?"….Finally I got to where I would just say "No, I don't have my FFL or Liscense…." then stare at them till they went away. If they persisted I would invite them to use their Google-Fu to find the actual code and nomenclature that they should reference. I got tired of trying to educate all the idiots.

I have found that those that own Class III items are typically among the most law abiding, safe, and aware people at the range. They also tend to spend MORE MONEY than your typical gun owner, they are enthusiast and a ranges TARGET AUDIENCE…

Why on earth they would accost someone, operate outside of what is legally required, and run off potential customers is beyond me...

I have found that those that own Class III items are typically among the most law abiding, safe, and aware people at the range. They also tend to spend MORE MONEY than your typical gun owner, they are enthusiast and a ranges TARGET AUDIENCE…

Pffft...... You should see the things I do to get good video shots of class III stuff on the range.

Back
Top Bottom