• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Presenting SBR Stamp

Information floats to us in various formats and channels. We catch issues and address them as we can. The OP had a really well articulated concern and someone was kind enough to pm me, which kicked an email notification and brought my attention to the matter. Should I have caught this earlier? Probably. No excuses - problem is now fixed.
:thumb:

Information floats to us in various formats and channels. We catch issues and address them as we can. The OP had a really well articulated concern and someone was kind enough to pm me, which kicked an email notification and brought my attention to the matter. Should I have caught this earlier? Probably. No excuses - problem is now fixed.

Excellent and professional response.

Hi All,

First, let me say thank you for your patience while we sorted this out.

I dug into this issue quite a bit, both with a legal services firm that we consult with on a regular basis to assist in compliance manners regarding our various firearms-related licenses, and with the employees themselves. So right off the top, after all the back and forth with them, I'm pleased to tell you that we will no longer be checking NFA paperwork of our customers from this point forward. Many thanks to Cobbhunter for clearly articulating his concerns, and for folks like sovietak474u, laxguy59 (good point about increasing our risk by asking, by the way), and a few others that have meaningfully contributed to thread. I did follow the thread as it developed and took points into consideration.

The background behind what was an informal policy of ensuring Tax Stamp compliance on behalf of the customers entering our facilities goes way back to prior ownership (who never actually dealt NFA, as we do now) as a knee-jerk response to protect the business from a perceived liability that the facility would be held accountable for infractions like that. The good folks that wrote the most recent GA Weapons Law book are correct concerning presenting forms to LE being an affirmative defense, however, upon entering our store, we assume no liability for folks that aren't compliant with NFA laws and regs. I call the stamp checking policy an informal one, because it was never written in our employee handbooks to check folks for tax stamps, and it was just one of those things that was a common practice here under prior ownership. I take full responsibility for this matter now, and this practice has been stopped as of last Friday.

You folks know me pretty well by know. Please don't take my few days of silence as customer neglect. As this thread grew, I really felt it would be responsible to make sure we researched this issue thoroughly and provide the correct response. As much as I'd like to just run with "forum attorney advice" I'm pretty sure that changing policy on account of advice presented by some fella' with a screen name on a public forum wasn't exactly a prudent thing to do. We are learning as we go, and I still look to places like this for unfiltered feedback on how we do things and am thankful for communities like this to tell us when something isn't right.

For those who decided to write us off as a potential place to do business with before the conclusion of this thread, we are sorry to see you leave and wish you the best in the future. For all others, if something about we do things bothers you, please feel free to either bring it up in a PM, email the customer link from our website, or even just stop by and say hi. We take all thoughtful customer feedback seriously, and will continue our transformation into becoming your home range and shop.

Finally, as a token of our appreciation to the folks of this community, from now through the last day of this month, I'm offering flat 10% off shelf price of any suppressor we have in stock. Limit is one per ODT member and as a condition of this offer, you must prove your alias to us in person.

v/r,
Dan

I like the way you do business ! Not trying to give you or your staff a hard time. It's just we all work hard, jump through hoops, pay taxes and sit through that God awful wait. The last thing we want to do is get hassled when we try to enjoy the items we worked so hard to obtain. Thank you for looking into and solving this issue!

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-122
Possession of sawed-off shotgun or rifle, machine gun, silencer, or dangerous weapon prohibited
No person shall have in his possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer except as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.

16-11-124 states you may possess within accordance of the NFA.

I'm no lawyer, but how does one know you are not violating 122 without proof of being in accordance with 124?

As a side note the fastest way to find out what I have on a traffic stop is to ask how long your form 4 took. Clearly anything that sounds reasonable is cause for further investigation... Things are taking forever.

QUOTE=batoncolle;3884627]In GA no they do not have the authority, but it hasn't stopped them from asking based on accounts I have heard/read.

There are a few states with state laws that allow it. TX for example has some unusual state law which requires you to show proof.[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

I dug into this issue quite a bit, both with a legal services firm that we consult with on a regular basis to assist in compliance manners regarding our various firearms-related licenses, and with the employees themselves. So right off the top, after all the back and forth with them, I'm pleased to tell you that we will no longer be checking NFA paperwork of our customers from this point forward. Many thanks to Cobbhunter for clearly articulating his concerns, and for folks like sovietak474u, laxguy59 (good point about increasing our risk by asking, by the way), and a few others that have meaningfully contributed to thread. I did follow the thread as it developed and took points into consideration.

The background behind what was an informal policy of ensuring Tax Stamp compliance on behalf of the customers entering our facilities goes way back to prior ownership (who never actually dealt NFA, as we do now) as a knee-jerk response to protect the business from a perceived liability that the facility would be held accountable for infractions like that. The good folks that wrote the most recent GA Weapons Law book are correct concerning presenting forms to LE being an affirmative defense, however, upon entering our store, we assume no liability for folks that aren't compliant with NFA laws and regs. I call the stamp checking policy an informal one, because it was never written in our employee handbooks to check folks for tax stamps, and it was just one of those things that was a common practice here under prior ownership. I take full responsibility for this matter now, and this practice has been stopped as of last Friday.

You folks know me pretty well by know. Please don't take my few days of silence as customer neglect. As this thread grew, I really felt it would be responsible to make sure we researched this issue thoroughly and provide the correct response. As much as I'd like to just run with "forum attorney advice" I'm pretty sure that changing policy on account of advice presented by some fella' with a screen name on a public forum wasn't exactly a prudent thing to do. We are learning as we go, and I still look to places like this for unfiltered feedback on how we do things and am thankful for communities like this to tell us when something isn't right.

For those who decided to write us off as a potential place to do business with before the conclusion of this thread, we are sorry to see you leave and wish you the best in the future. For all others, if something about we do things bothers you, please feel free to either bring it up in a PM, email the customer link from our website, or even just stop by and say hi. We take all thoughtful customer feedback seriously, and will continue our transformation into becoming your home range and shop.

Finally, as a token of our appreciation to the folks of this community, from now through the last day of this month, I'm offering flat 10% off shelf price of any suppressor we have in stock. Limit is one per ODT member and as a condition of this offer, you must prove your alias to us in person.

v/r,
Dan

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate you taking my concern seriously and am truly glad you addressed it the way you did.

Hi All,

v/r,
Dan

FYI as for forum attorney advice.... I offer a free service of free terrible drunk legal advice if you are ever in need.

It sounds like GA Firing Line is doing the right thing, and doing the efficient and practical thing, too.
Going to a shooting range shouldn't involve a bunch of legal documents being examined and signed-- except the range release and liability waiver, of course.
That document could (or already does? I don't know) have a line in there where the guest assures the Range that all firearms the guest brings or handles will be legal firearms and possessed only by persons legal to possess them.
Then if the customer asks "what is a legal firearm" or "who is legal to possess guns at the range" or "I've got a machinegun... that's legal, right???" then the EMPLOYEE of the range can point to that handy-dandy little GEORGIA WEAPONS LAWS reference book and suggest they add that to their list of purchases that day! ;)

P.S. If it were reasonable for the range to ask the customers to produce documents proving they are in legal possession of the firearms they bring to the range, shouldn't the customers be able to demand that the range show its FFL to them, and for ranges that rent NFA items on an SOT Class 3, shouldn't the customers be able to review the dealership's Form 1's and Form 4's to prove that the business is lawfully in possession of what they are about to rent out? (Of course not. I'm being sarcastic.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom