Pressure canning meat.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Anybody have one of these pressure canners?
I definitely want to start canning venison to have as a alternative to the freezer.
Plus it comes out of the jar like a MRE and you can either spoon it or quickly throw it in any meal you like.
Just another food prep to add to our arsenal.
Here’s a cool video.
This guy has some pretty great videos.

I made a big pot of beef stew today and then canned 7qt jars. I can chicken, ground beef, stews, chili, and a bunch of vegetables every year from the garden. It’s not hard just takes time and you can’t rush it.

I've canned venison for years.

Single, pint jar is just right, ready to go for anything. no waiting around like with frozen. I don't get too fancy, just stew meat or ground, dress it up when I'm ready to use it. Canning spices can get tricky, same with meat and tomatoes.

Also, have dry canned all sorts of beans, pasta.

My wife has been canning meat for years--hamburger, bacon, ham, chicken. It must be done properly or you can grow accidently grow botulism which is usually fatal. Time and pressure in the cooker is critical to make sure bacteria dont survive the canning process. Canning tomatoes isn't as critical as the acid in the tomatoes inhibits the growth of bacteria. Many peopple can tomatoes using the hot water bath method. We always pressure can everything as it is better to be safe than sorry.

Subbed. I started learning about this too. Seems like a good skill to have and decent way to store stuff without using a freezer. Shopping for the canner now and already stacking jars and lids

The wife has been canning tomatoes using the hot water bath method for a long time. Just got us a pressure canner to try next time our local grocer has a good meat sale.

My BIL has been canning meats and meat sauces for a few years now. He loves the shelf stability, but isn't a fan of the flavor change compared to freshly prepared. He's a chef and a stickler so YMMV.

My BIL has been canning meats and meat sauces for a few years now. He loves the shelf stability, but isn't a fan of the flavor change compared to freshly prepared. He's a chef and a stickler so YMMV.
That's why I'm looking into it, more for calorie storage without (ongoing) energy requirements. I am OK with the food not being perfect, but being able to buy 50 pounds of chicken when it's $2/pound at target this weekend and batch cooking it into soup, pulled chicken, chicken bbq, etc, and then storing it in the pantry sounds awesome. Would not be as good as a fresh chicken on the grill but would damn sure fill out that 20 year old mylar packed rice and bean pile.

When I was younger my parents and pretty much every other adult I knew canned a lot of foods mostly with the hot water bath method “without a pressure canner.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but pressure canning is pretty much the same as hot water bath canning but under pressure the water heats up faster and cooks your batches in half the time correct?

When I was younger my parents and pretty much every other adult I knew canned a lot of foods mostly with the hot water bath method “without a pressure canner.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but pressure canning is pretty much the same as hot water bath canning but under pressure the water heats up faster and cooks your batches in half the time correct?

Incorrect, and that thinking has killed a lot of people.

The boiling point of liquid under pressure is higher than the boiling point of that liquid in the atmosphere. That's the whole principal of car cooling systems..

The boiling point depends on the pressure, the more pressure, the high the BP. That's why pressure canners have different weights. More weight = higher BP.

There are nasties that can survive the BP of water at atomsphere, which is 212 deg F. or 100 deg. C. They cannot survive the higher temps of a pressure canning.

The limited number of foods that can be water bath preserved naturally create an environment where the nasties cannot survive, these foods being primarily high in acid (tomatoes) or high in sugar (jams and jellies).

The reason a pressure cooker/canner cooks your food faster is not because it heats up faster but because it heats up higher, and for braising (corn beef) the additional pressure aids in cooking through and through, My mother used to use a pressure cooker for dried beans, and it's amazing what it can to do with them.

Actually both kind of canners will come to 212 at the same rate.

Back
Top Bottom