• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primers

drtybykr

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
79   0
Reaction score
I was going thru some of my reloading stuff, and ran across a bag of a few thousand sm. pistol primers priced at $3.20/ thousand. I wonder how old those are:)

I'm sure they're still good, but it would almost be a shame not to keep them now, just for the nostalgia. I've got several old load manuals that I bought from a fellow 20+ years ago. Most are from the 60's and early 70's. I still get them out and read them. It's amazing how much things have changed in this world, and just how little things have changed in handloading. (Other than lawyers editing the data) I've been loading about 25 years, I think primers were about $10.00/K at the retail store I was buying from when I started.

All of my reloading stuff was inherited from my grandfather. He died 7 years ago, and I finally got it all out, and running. I have a lot of manuals from the early 60's as well. And I am still killing deer with some of his handloads, and his .300 mag. I figure with what reloads are left that grampa will be hunting with me for another 10 years:)

Back in the early '70's I used to reload a 44 mag for 3 cents a round. Penny for the primer, 2 cents for the powder, and cast my own bullets from free wheelweights. Had one of those hand held Lee loaders that you used a hammer on.

When I started reloading the first time primers were $1.50/100. I still have a couple of empty Winchester primer packs w/ the price sticker still on them that I hang on to for nostalgia.

What really gets me is seeing Winchester 777 primers at Dick's SG for $6.99/100:jaw:

Hello guys I'm a new guy here but I just wanted to say that I buy 15,000 at a time and split them with a friend.
We price check Cabelas, Midway,Graf&Son, Midsouth ,and EABCO and buy from whoever has the best price.
I started reloading in the late 70's and have paid much less for both primers and powder as well as bullets but come to think of it I only paid $180 for my bicentiental super blackhawk, new!

Back
Top Bottom