• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Priorities?

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
What is everyone stocking up on first?

We can't buy stuff all at once, so what would be most important to have a good stock of-in what order??

-Me:
-Ammo, Spare parts for guns
-Water source
-Food
-Transportation -(Gas, spare parts)
-Communication (seems like a lot pf people overlook the importance of comms. -shortwave, etc.)

-Just brainstorming. (hopefully, none of this stuff will evere get used, but the modern world seems less stable every day.)

don't forget ibuprofen antibiotic ointment and other basic meds we take for granted in our day to day lives. As well as antibacterial soap.

Gun(s)/ Ammo
Archery(learning and stocking eq)
Water purification
Food
Vitamins/basic meds
Considering trying too learn how to grow fruits/vegetables from seeds(I have a brown thumb)
I don't think I'll be going anywhere so transportation is low priority for me. One thing I have been thinking about is water supply. I live a mile from the lake but even so, carrying 5 gallons a trip will(all uphill) be a pain. Still, driving in a post modern technology, or even just a scavenger ridden world would be kind of suicidal.

Guns and ammo. If you can't protect it, no use in stocking anything else.
Short term food. Six months to a year.
Water purification.
Knowledge!!!!! Lots of books on how to survive and live long term by simple means. Food growth and preservation. Water purification. Medical skills. Etc, etc,....
Seed
Tools
Meds
Fencing. Especially chicken wire. Lots of uses for this so have lots on hand.
Power. Batteries and solar chargers.
Communications.
Fuel. Kerosine because it lasts for many years without going bad and conversion parts to run on it.

Lots of other things, but these take priority.

I would say to get at least a month's supply of food and water before anything else. You're certainly not going to live long enough to work through 500 rounds of anything if you don't have the basics covered first.

I would bet most users here are realistically fine with the guns they have now. If you're really serious about this and not just playing zombie movie you need to work out a sustainable water supply and food. Water filtration/sterilization are very high priority. Have you ever gone a week at home without plumbing? A few trips to the bathroom will work through the majority of your water supply FAST. Throw in a couple folks who have diarrhea or fever and you're really going to need it by the gallons. I wouldn't depend on above-ground water because it will be very easily tainted in a disaster situation unless you just live extremely remote.

Canned goods are very easy to store, and a brick of 22lr will get tree rats for a while until they're depleted. Chickens are really easy to keep if you don't mind the racket. Rice and beans are good but remember that it will take water and fire to prepare them.

Basic meds are essential. I don't even go camping without plenty of aspirin, benadryl, sudafed, pepto, etc.

Guns are much more fun to stock up on and talk about but in reality you'll only need something basic to defend yourself and your family, and maybe a rimfire rifle or shotgun for small game.

Guns and ammo
Long term storage food
Water purification
Many books
First aid items
bullet proof vests
NBC (nuclear biological chemical ) suits
gas masks
batteries etc

Already have all those items, most other items im still working on like more food and extra provisions.

Decent Medical supplies was my first.

Then it was:
Food, Salt, Seasoning
Water and 2 Different Water Purification
Fire
Paracord,Duct Tape,Super Glue
Clothing, hot and cold weather.
2 way Radios
Krill lights,IR strobes,Chem lights,Flashlights with batteries
Maps
Copies of important Docs.
and tons more.
Then Bags for it all.

I need: Chem suits, Gas masks, 2 Bicycles, heirloom seeds "non-hybrid"

I am looking at: Ham radio "thanks to another member here"
and also looking at these filters for fresh air intake:
http://www.alpinesurvival.com/HEPA-filters.html

Decent Medical supplies was my first.

Then it was:
Food, Salt, Seasoning
Water and 2 Different Water Purification
Fire
Paracord,Duct Tape,Super Glue
Clothing, hot and cold weather.
2 way Radios
Krill lights,IR strobes,Chem lights,Flashlights with batteries
Maps
Copies of important Docs.
and tons more.
Then Bags for it all.

I need: Chem suits, Gas masks, 2 Bicycles, heirloom seeds "non-hybrid"

I am looking at: Ham radio "thanks to another member here"
and also looking at these filters for fresh air intake:
http://www.alpinesurvival.com/HEPA-filters.html

if that other link does not work try eham.net for the practice tests online.

We have been prepping in each of the below categories but have been very random in our approach. After visiting and getting to know other preppers in the area and in other states who are way ahead of us in some cases, we reprioritized based on their advice. We've changed our priorities in light of the most likely scenarios at this time (but recognizing we should be prepared for anything). In this order:

1. Clean water source
2. Food storage
3. Shelter & clothing
4. Heat and energy source
5. Self defense items(including comms, etc.)
6. Dwelling & land (with clean water source)
7. Food production (in-ground and small space/high productions techniques)
8. Stocking items for barter and trade

We're still trying to figure out transportation needs and fuel - diesel? gas? 4X4? Ultra efficient?

We are now rewriting a detailed written plan that will guide us over the next couple of years of prepping work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom