• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PROJECTILES .451-.452

I'm just getting deeper into to cast bullets ... from what I read, the gas checks are really not called for unless you are driving a projectile in excess of 800 fps, which you are highly unlikely to do out of .45 SCHOFIELD BRASS! There are some who shoot heavier projectiles in pistols or hotter loads in rifles that may feel that they require the gas checks to prevent blow-by even in lighter loads.

Don't know what your objectives are for loads. Also, don't know a lot about the SCHOFIELD cartridge either! But, right now, my plans are to concentrate on target loads for my .45 ACP and .45 LC ... this will include trying a few cast as well as some plated projectiles. It is my understanding that although both the ACP and Long Colt are "45's", they don't typically shoot the same projectile .... unless:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=300476

I imagine your choice of projectiles for the SCHOFIELD would tend to be most similar to those used in .45 LC (?)

Good Luck!

I'll have to get some more cast that aren't lubed but I can probably send you some 250 grain sized .452 as a favor at no cost in a week or so. I normally size through a .454 lube sizer but I think I have a Lee .452 sizer I can dig out. I can lube them back up when sized. Give me a few weeks if you still need them. 100 to 150 cast no biggie.

Back
Top Bottom