Pushing your can's limit

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Anyone here gone outside of the warranted calibers on your can?

I ran into a fellow who is putting 45/70 through his Thompson Machine QMF II with 400-450 gr subsonics, claims to have no problems.

Speaking of pushing limits, I have a certain suppressor manufacturer who is willing to test and meter one of their cans for 44 magnum on a rifle, barrel length minimum to be decided, but I have to send them a threaded rifle for testing and video, which I'm currently attempting to get put together (finding a fast twist 44 magnum rifle has not been easy and it won't be cheap).

9mm on .308 would most likely be too far, since most 9mm cans are made of AL. 300 blackout would most likely be fine with 16 in barrels, but don't come running to me if you blow up your investment ;-)

9mm on .308 would most likely be too far, since most 9mm cans are made of AL. 300 blackout would most likely be fine with 16 in barrels, but don't come running to me if you blow up your investment ;-)

Now Liberty wont warrant it, and the heat will burn the paint off, but the Mystic was shown shooting 308 through a bolt gun for a number of rounds successfully.

Alot of people run 308 subs through their pistol cans which aren't warranted but clearly within the pressure limits.

Personally, they cost too much in terms of wait time and cash for me to test one personally.

I know the 9mm can I'm waiting on is rated for 300 blk subsonic- but they don't say what barrel length.

45/70 is actually a pretty low pressure round if I'm remembering correctly- I had a Marlin guide gun that I reloaded for once upon a time. Of course, .45ACP is even lower.

Personally, they cost too much in terms of wait time and cash for me to test one personally.

I know the 9mm can I'm waiting on is rated for 300 blk subsonic- but they don't say what barrel length.

45/70 is actually a pretty low pressure round if I'm remembering correctly- I had a Marlin guide gun that I reloaded for once upon a time. Of course, .45ACP is even lower.

Right but its not just a pressure game, it also has to do with volume, and there is alot more volume of gas behind a 400gr 1050fps 45-70 than a 230gr 1050fps 45ACP

I have the first model Thompson Machine Isis 9mm and I shoot .300 Blackout subsonic from 16"barrel with no problem. Pressure of the subsonic .300 is close to 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom