• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Put Down Deer

Anschutz

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
I'm currently driving through Illinois and have been looking for wildlife to photograph. I saw a deer pulled over where it couldn't see Mr and stalked up to where I could snap a few photos. As I got closer I could tell that something g was wrong. I approached slowly and when it got up to run I could see that one leg was completely broken and flapping. It tried to jump a fence and couldn't so I knew what had to be done. I hated to do it but I followed it into the woods and drew my Glock. I've killed plenty of deer but never like this and it felt very different. I was worried about the cops (Illinois gun laws) and whether my 9mm would do the job effectively. It retreated into some brush about ten yards from me and the first shot entered the neck and incapacitated it. Then, holding it down, another shot finished it off. I hate that this deer will become coyote food but at least it isn't suffering anymore. Still feels very different mercy killing an animal than hunting it.

I know how you feel, took a small doe this year just because I did not want her suffering or eaten alive by coyotes. Would have nabbed all the meat possible though. You did the right thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom