• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question about 30 carbine loading

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
I have a Blackhawk 30 carbine and wanting to use a .308 cast 115 gr bullet I have. I cant find any loading data for the carbine with this size bullet but do find a 32-2- load using the 115 gr cast with 3.5gr of Win 231 powder. I have always read that 32-20 and 30 carbine info are very interchangable so wondering if I am safe to use this load in the carbine? What do you think? Wallace in Ga

Does your load data give you velocities?
The .30 carbine normally pushes a 110 gr. jacketed bullet at 1900 fps, right?
What is the published velocity on the similar .32-20 load?
If it's at or below 1900 f.p.s., that would be an encouraging sign, don't you think?

Yes, the load data for the 32-20 shows the speed to be 980fps for the load. That should be way down, infact the pressure showed 15000 pressure. I thought it would be a very light load, but just wanted to put it out there if anyone "in the know" had a brilliant idea. Wallace

What other powders do you have? I have the loadbooks for .30 carbine that has all the various manufactures information and it shows a few different 115 gr charges from Hodgdon and Accurate has data for a 120 gr projo.

I have never loaded for a pistol, so am not sure what powder is better suited. The book I mentioned has pistol data, but does not say 115 gr only 110.

I have never loaded for a pistol, so am not sure what powder is better suited. The book I mentioned has pistol data, but does not say 115 gr only 110.
Have you looked at Red Dot data for pistol length. If I recall correctly, I used Red Dot for an ATM 30 carbine pistol years ago.

I will check my cast bullet manual and other old printed sources and report back. I probably can't do it until tomorrow though. Sundays are crazy for me, and an hour in the shop ain't happening until everybody goes to bed tonight.

Back
Top Bottom