• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about avoiding straw purchase

QUOTE from OP:

"I'm thinking maybe Bob buys the pistol, holds it for 6 months, and then one day he realizes that it's not for him and just happens to decide that it would make an awesome birthday present for his brother Adam. From there, maybe it's easy-peasy."

This.
But not just hold it. Use it. Shoot it. THEN decide it's not his cup o' tea.

6-12 months later, sell it, first marketing it to family members before marketing it to strangers.

If a family member from out of state wants to buy it, great! Make sure to use an FFL for a dealer-to-dealer shipment.

9873cPi.jpg

From what I understand the only people who can sell 'off roster' guns in CA are cops, and quite a few have been busted for making too good a living off of flipping.

Guns already in-state but off roster are fine to buy and sell as well, but you can't bring a new gun into the state if it's not on the roster.

There are some workarounds... I know some folks turned a gun into a rimfire or single-shot, which were excluded from the roster requirement, and then converted them back once in-state... Although that may have changed now. CA plays whack-a-mole with their gun laws, trying to close off 'loopholes'.

And to answer the OP's initial question, it would absolutely be a straw purchase if done the way he describes, although in a normal state he could simply gift it to his brother and be fine.

I just don't know.
This is a fine line between one brother possibly wanting to experience prison sex but also you can sense the genuine love he has for his brothers firearm needs.
A tough one for sure....

I’m going to send this to the next person trying to buy a gun from me with zero reviews, from Atlanta, and hits me with “is the (insert gun here) still available?” “I’ll buy it today” it’s 7 pm and I’m in swga kick rocks gay boys😂

Back
Top Bottom