Question about pellet grill maintenance

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I was wonder for those with pellet grills do you clean out the ash in the firebox before you use it every time or does it not matter? What I do is take an old vacuum and suck out the firebox before I use it, not sure if thats needed or not. I think the manual says to do it though.

Also how offer do you clean it? I've used it 3 times now and the grates are still pretty clean, the deflector shield is getting black from smoking and fat dripping on it though but its not caked on yet.

i use Rec Tec pellets, I clean after every 40 lb bag. The long slow cooks seem to create more ash. I use a very cheap and small shop vac. Others have mentioned a bucket vac sold at home depot. I cover the reflector with a strip of foil to catch grease, not really worried about soot on the bottom.

My grates are stainless and get soaked and cleaned with a brillo pad as needed. Unless I am cooking multiple butts or racks of ribs I usually only use one grate at a time.

Had this about a year now and have produced some excellent food!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218

i use Rec Tec pellets, I clean after every 40 lb bag. The long slow cooks seem to create more ash. I use a very cheap and small shop vac. Others have mentioned a bucket vac sold at home depot. I cover the reflector with a strip of foil to catch grease, not really worried about soot on the bottom.

My grates are stainless and get soaked and cleaned with a brillo pad as needed. Unless I am cooking multiple butts or racks of ribs I usually only use one grate at a time.

Had this about a year now and have produced some excellent food!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218

So that vac part goes over a 5gal bucket? I've never seen that before. Thats cool.

Back
Top Bottom