• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

question about the S&W 1917

parolebear

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
216   0
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for opinions (I know they are like a--holes, everyone has one and most stink). I have listed a Smith and Wesson 1917, Brazilian 1937 contract gun for sale or trade. I listed the price at $600. Is this an unreasonable price?? I see a prewar, 5 screw, N-frame in what I think is good or better condition. I have not had an offer of trade or price. Now, that said I do not plan on giving it away but I would have at least thought someone would have offered something. If I am way out of range then fine, I will rethink price or put it back in the safe and not worry about it. When I die my kid can sell it for $25 or my wife can give it away. Thanks

I believe the value on these comes from the US Army issued examples and the commercial models. And of course the condition on those...

The Brazilian contract models just don't seems to bring much...just a cheap shooter for someone. Nothing desirable to a collector about a Brazilian.

Just my opinion. It prob stinks. :painkiller:

:yo:

Well I traded a Hi Power for a USGI 1917 last year. I got a great deal on the Hi Power at $424 but I see USGI's listed on Gunbroker for between $500 and $600.

Not sure if a Brazilian Contract is as sought after so that could affect the price.

You might get more nibbles for $550 or slightly less.

Great pistols. Mine gets a lot of attention at the range.

GLWS

I agree with Leatherhead. The Brazilian contract models have what I think is a better rear sight, but just my opinion. It needs to be stated here that the Brazilian contract 1917s were made here in the USA and shipped. Nothing wrong with these models, they just don't bring what the US commerical models bring and are considered "shooters", not collectibles. Condition will dictate the value, but again, a like condition US commercial model will bring much more than the Brazilian contract model. Just my opinion.

With all due respect, as many times as this has been relisted and as you state there have been no offers, it is not priced to sell. This may or may not have anything to due with it's "value". It is just not evidently a desirable piece. Keep lowering the price until you receive interest, or put it back in the safe,

Stating the obvious, fair market value is the price you are willing to sell for and the price a buyer is willing to pay. You have not reached this yet.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom