• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

question for anyone who has completed an 80% "gun'

You could (all sold out now) buy kits that include all the parts and the 80percent receiver for Sig P320, Glocks, 1911s, AK, and AR15s.

To complete the frames the p320 is the fastest at about 10 minutes, the slowest is the 1911 taking about an hour.

Assembly of the actual gun, glock is the fastest at 10 minutes and the AK is the slowest at about an hour.

You must be one hell of a builder to assemble and AK in one hour...I guess if the barrel came populated, the kit was already demilled, and you did a screw build. But still an hour is pushing it and you'd have a very sloppy AK. That's just from my experience building dozens.

I know you were just using it as an example so not harm done. The argument they make that you can build a kit in minutes always makes me laugh. Those who build it in minutes will probably have it blow up in their face.

You must be one hell of a builder to assemble and AK in one hour...I guess if the barrel came populated, the kit was already demilled, and you did a screw build. But still an hour is pushing it and you'd have a very sloppy AK. That's just from my experience building dozens.

I know you were just using it as an example so not harm done. The argument they make that you can build a kit in minutes always makes me laugh. Those who build it in minutes will probably have it blow up in their face.

It takes you more than an hour to slap together an AK then I don't know what to say other than maybe you need more practice? I've done hundreds of um, and it's really not that time consuming once you find your rhythm.

And screw build takes quite a bit longer than a rivet job. Spot welding Hesse style would probably be the fastest

It takes you more than an hour to slap together an AK then I don't know what to say other than maybe you need more practice? I've done hundreds of um, and it's really not that time consuming once you find your rhythm.

And screw build takes quite a bit longer than a rivet job. Spot welding Hesse style would probably be the fastest
Would love to inspect one of your builds. From demill to finish there is no way in hell you could slap together an AK in an hour and do a quality job. You'd have to be moving fast as hell and hit no snags and be using a pre-headspaced/pre-populated barrel, a demilled kit, with rivet holes pre-drilled in your receiver. At which point I'd say your riveting it together, not really building it from scratch. I'm also guessing your not refinishing with paint at all? Just a naked AK?

I wonder how long it takes Troy Sellers from InRange to build an AK. He would be the gold standard. If anyone has it down to a science it would be him. I'll pose this question to him if I ever catch him on the forums. I wonder if he would give me a straight answer...

OK fellers, break ‘em out…
65B11EDA-8154-4E62-915C-DAF5D31C76B7.jpeg

Would love to inspect one of your builds. From demill to finish there is no way in hell you could slap together an AK in an hour and do a quality job. You'd have to be moving fast as hell and hit no snags and be using a pre-populated barrel. At which point I'd say your riveting it together, not really building it from scratch. I'm also guessing your not refinishing with paint at all? Just a naked AK?

I ain't painting an AK unless it's a Maadi, but yes...it takes only around an hour to go from parts kit to functioning firearm with a virgin barrel on an 80% receiver. I don't know what you are finding so difficult about the process.

will4me will4me recently saw my Khyber YPG Tribute build and can attest to the quality of my work.

I ain't painting an AK unless it's a Maadi, but yes...it takes only around an hour to go from parts kit to functioning firearm with a virgin barrel on an 80% receiver. I don't know what you are finding so difficult about the process.

will4me will4me recently saw my Khyber YPG Tribute build and can attest to the quality of my work.

Just don't see how you could turn the virgin barrel to the correct journal size for trunnion, rsb, gas block & sight; drill all of the receiver holes accurately, press, populate and pin the barrel; drill and pin all of the barrel components; and rivet all components in 60 minutes. I would seriously pay to see this...almost sounds like badass reality show idea that would end poorly for most.

I have built them all from 80% 10/22 to 1911 to AR and AK and Not-A-Glock.
I have Thousands of dollars in tools and alignment jigs (some I made myself or modified someone else's).
I also have Thousands of dollars in Machines from Milling to Lathe.
With a Drill press and some jigs you get online with a Rivet Press (gotten online as well) I can build an AK from kit to working rifle in about 1.5 to 2 hours and that is taking my time (yes that includes populating the barrel).
If the kit has the barrel already populated then I can cut the time down to around 1 hour.
But I know a few people who can do it way quicker than me with less tools.
An AK is not as precision as most think, but I use a jig to hold the trunnion in the drill press to make sure I get the holes in the Receiver correct (YouTube and google are your friend).
The holes in most Trunnions are from one to another a few thousands in difference and that is from The Russian kits to the Polish kits I have built.
The hardest but also easiest part for an AK is setting the Headspace.
1911's take the longest for me as I hand fit every part and cut everything just a hair under to make a quality fit Pistol
(I build a 1911 or an AR or an AK each winter so I keep busy).
I currently have a 5.45X39 AK that I am building into a Folder this winter (Circle 11 Kit with green mountain barrel).
This post is in no way an effort for anyone to think I am a Gunsmith and can work on your Rifle/Pistol (Do not ask).
This post is for pure entertainment and should only be taken serious if you have a sense of humor.

Back
Top Bottom