• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for Crossbow Hunters

GreenDog58

Default rank <100 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Getting geared up for my first archery season. These were first results with new crossbow into what was advertised as a 400 fps block style target that can handle both field points and broad heads. Crossbow is the Centerpoint Sniper 370, shot the bolts that came with it with 125 gr. field point added as well as the Easton Bloodline with same 125 gr. These 3 shots were from 12 yds. Is it normal that they just get buried in the target like this? The fletches had some of the black target residue as well when I pulled them out. Thanks for any insight! Like I said, first season, just trying to get myself to where I can take ethical shots. Want to make sure I practice enough but not have to re-buy new bolts nonstop.

front target.JPG
rear target.JPG

Yeah you may want to dial in a 20 yards which seems to be the standard for most crossbow scopes.
You will probably get less penetration but if you start destroying fletchings you’ll want to get a tougher block target.
My buddy went through this on sunday with his block target and ruined fletchings on four bolts.
I use “the block “ target with my excalibur and it stops them pretty well.
Good thing about the excalibur bolts is that the nocks are flat and have a threaded hole to insert a tool from the rear to yank stubborn bolts out.

Just a note for those new to crossbows is if your crossbow requires half moon nocks do NOT borrow or use flat nocks in your weapon as you could break strings, limbs and possibly detonate your bow and maybe even injure yourself or others.
There are several threads online about this and all will agree it’s a bad move to try that.

Definitely dial in at 20 yards and then practice from your ladder or a relatively close height to your shooting height as the change in elevation will surprise you.
Often I have to aim 3” low at 20 yards when shooting from my stand when aim zeroed at 20 yards from level ground.

Also once you’re dialed in try not to split arrows (bolts) by shooting at the same spot.
Use a different spot on the target and get consistent that way.

Good luck.

Yeah you may want to dial in a 20 yards which seems to be the standard for most crossbow scopes.
You will probably get less penetration but if you start destroying fletchings you’ll want to get a tougher block target.
My buddy went through this on sunday with his block target and ruined fletchings on four bolts.
I use “the block “ target with my excalibur and it stops them pretty well.
Good thing about the excalibur bolts is that the mocks are flat and have a threaded hole to insert a tool from the rear to yank stubborn bolts out.

Just a note for those new to crossbows is of your crossbow requires half moon nocks do NOT borrow or use flat nocks in your weapon as you could break strings, limbs and possibly detonate your bow and maybe even injure yourself or others.
There are several threads online about this and all will agree it’s a bad move to try that.

Definitely dial in at 20 yards and then practice from your ladder or a relatively close height to your shooting height as the change in elevation will surprise you.
Often I have to aim 3” low at 20 yards when shooting from my stand when aim zeroed at 20 yards from level ground.

Also once you’re dialed in try not to split arrows (bolts) by shooting at the same spot.
Use a different spot on the target and get consistent that way.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the tips!! 20 yds. will be next venture and will throw in different angles/elevations as well. Seems pretty addictive so far and a bit cheaper to get into then pure compound archery.

Put the broadheads on it and shoot it. I had the same troubles with a Barnett ghost. It eats up targets faster but doesn't kill the fletchings. Putting more space between you and the target will also help. I would check the scope to see what yardage you should start at. And welcome to hunting! Good luck buddy

12 yard shots yield a higher velocity and deeper penetration. Back off to 20 yards or more and shoot it. If it still does that then you know the target isn’t doing it’s job. You can cut 2 pieces of 3/4” plywood to put on top of and under the block target. Drill holes in each piece and connect them with 4 threaded rods at the corners of the target. Use big washers so the plywood doesn’t give under pressure. Put wing nuts or double nuts on the top and tighten them down to compress the target more. You can also do that with cardboard or other flat materials in lieu of the block target.

Put the broadheads on it and shoot it. I had the same troubles with a Barnett ghost. It eats up targets faster but doesn't kill the fletchings. Putting more space between you and the target will also help. I would check the scope to see what yardage you should start at. And welcome to hunting! Good luck buddy
Awesome advice! Thank you very much, and good luck to you as well!

Getting geared up for my first archery season. These were first results with new crossbow into what was advertised as a 400 fps block style target that can handle both field points and broad heads. Crossbow is the Centerpoint Sniper 370, shot the bolts that came with it with 125 gr. field point added as well as the Easton Bloodline with same 125 gr. These 3 shots were from 12 yds. Is it normal that they just get buried in the target like this? The fletches had some of the black target residue as well when I pulled them out. Thanks for any insight! Like I said, first season, just trying to get myself to where I can take ethical shots. Want to make sure I practice enough but not have to re-buy new bolts nonstop.

View attachment 2244213 View attachment 2244214
You need a good target period. I have a Block target that stops them no problem. Something else I wouldn't shoot at the same spot twice, robinhooding arrow's get expensive. This is the kind I have and it doesn't mess up the fletching. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...qz-uoXXfZ-bxOi3VxbolJWeIT3hO619RoCo6UQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom