• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for the experts . . .

roadrunner

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I live in the city limits. We have two foxes running around the neighborhood and my wife saw them coming out of the storm drain beside our house. I wouldn't care normally but we have two small dogs that my wife likes more than she does me. She's worried the foxes will kill her dogs so she wants them dealt with. Animal control wouldn't mess with them so it's up to me. My question is, what is the best way to get rid of them. I've got a Gamo air rifle that should do the trick. I don't know if a trap would be a good idea with all the domestic animals around. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

One thing foxes really arnt going to mess with your dogs. I have a fox den in a small patch of woods right next to my house next to a creek. I didnt even know they had one there till yesterday when I was trying out my new call and one of them came out of the woods in my front yard. I have dogs and have lived here for about a year and a half and have never had them messed with (they arnt small dogs though). I also have a decent rabbit population here and I see quiet afew of them in my yard one of which I see all the time, he lives in those woods not far from the fox den and hasnt been eaten yet. If she's really that worried then you'll have to contact your local game warden and ask them how to go about it because it would be illegal to kill them right now.

Burdy just had a similar instance so maybe he can advise. Call the game warden FIRST. He will most likely say "Ehh, take care of em" or will advise on how to handle it. Secondly it is illegal in most city limits to discharge a firearm. Don't do anything without making that call first. Lastly, I would not use a .177 air rifle to kill a fox as it is a rather inhumane round for game of that size as it is intended for squirrels at MOST.

Burdy just had a similar instance so maybe he can advise. Call the game warden FIRST. He will most likely say "Ehh, take care of em" or will advise on how to handle it. Secondly it is illegal in most city limits to discharge a firearm. Don't do anything without making that call first. Lastly, I would not use a .177 air rifle to kill a fox as it is a rather inhumane round for game of that size as it is intended for squirrels at MOST.

x2 call the game warden.

x2 on what CCW said.

Dont use the Gamo. I have a Gamo as well and I would never dream of using it on an animal of that size. Very cruel and it will probably take you 20 rounds to kill a fox. Find a friend with a proper size rifle or relocate the foxes to an area far away from your house.

To be completly honest with you in this situation relocation sounds alot better then killing them. The fox in Burdy's situation was rabbid so I can see putting him down out of season, but these fox's havent bothered you or your pets so I would highly suggest relocating them. Also like the other guys said that Gamo is simply not enough for a fox size animal.

I have bigger rifles. Problem is, I live in the city limits. I also have a compound bow but I don't need a cute little fox dying in someone's yard with an arrow hanging out of him. My wife called the city, the county, and the DNR and they all said there was nothing they could do about it. Is there some kind of trap that wouldn't harm a domestic animal? I don't want to catch anyone's cat.

If it is a real threat I will post the guys number tomorrow that removes ANY animals in ANY situation.. Pretty cool job he has.. he can shoot any animal with anything he wants and is licensed through the state to do so.. I met him at a dinner one time and talked with him about details of his job and its like this big top secret thing and wouldn't tell hardly anything.. However i told him about a great horned owl that i rescued from a fence one time and even though they are protected he let it slip that he can even kill protected and out of season animals..

I will give you his number tomorrow from my work we had a coon upstairs in the office and he came and trapped it.. our secretary was like awww I want to take its picture.. are you gonna release it back into the wild?? he chuckled and said nope... he will be dead in 5 minutes...

I said all that to say just watch them close if they are actually coming out of there den and going after the dogs or you like with Burdy then yes call this guy or do it yourself.. If there are just coming out and leaving you alone then they are just taking care of babies and will move along soon enough.. just my opinion...

I have an update on these beastly foxes my wife is worried about. Last night I got home from work and I saw one of them slipping up the road in front of my house. I stopped the truck and watched him for a minute or so and he walked off through the neighbor's yard. It was small, maybe 20lbs or so, and by itself. Our dogs don't go outside by themselves anyway so I believe I'll just wait and see for the moment. Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom