• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for Wood Turners

ptelite

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
107   0
Reaction score
I just bought a lathe to start turning some pens and it came with a set of chisels. I already had a nice carbide set but wanted to get these sharpened up just in case I ever need them. I'm not really at a point where I want to invest in a sharpening system, does anyone know of any local shops that would sharpen them or are there any ODT members who might be able to help me out?

What kind of lathe did you pick up? If it's for pens specifically probably a mini lathe that sits on the bench? The chisels that came with.....is it a full size set or a mini lathe set? I ask because I have carbide chisels, full size hss, and mini lathe hss. If they are the latter, your typical chinese mini lathe chisel set, I'm not sure I'd bother. On a small lathe you are gonna get some flexion which equates to chatter. Larger, quality chisels with some gravity to they will help absorb and you get smoother cuts. Small lathe, small chisels, marginal steel quality.....you won't be a happy camper. I do have a Tormek system though if ya want to give it a go, sharpening wise.

I bought a Nova Comet 2 midi lathe, the chisels are a mini set that came with it. They are supposed to be decent once sharpened but I ended up buying a carbide pen turning set from Rockler and have just been messing with those. Thanks for the offer to help with the sharpening, if I’m ever out your way I may take you up on it. I’m taking a bowl turning class next month so I may be looking to upgrade to some larger chisels soon. I can do up to a 12” bowl on this one and also have access to a shopsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nova makes great equipment so you are gonna have a great time. Mini chisel sets I've never personally found to be worth the trouble. I've always experienced so much chatter that they just frustrate me. For pens, because they are so small, full size roughers and gouges are just too big though. I almost always just use a full size, razor sharp hss parter. I've just started tinkering with carbide tool holders for wood work. And actually made my own. I also have a metal lathe and mill but I'm just a tinkerer. Pens were always a just for fun project but I've made a couple hundred.

Thanks for the advice. I’m looking at some larger chisels now and trying to decide if I would be better off buying an inexpensive set with good reviews and getting a good sharpening system or if I should just put the money towards a really nice set of chisels. The carbides I have work great for pens, but I’d need more for bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need your cutting tools that sharp for turning. You need to sharpen them frequently.

I've been to seminars with Philip Moulthrop, world famous turning family in Atlanta, and he doesn't use an elaborate system for sharpening. In fact he uses surprisingly "common" tools - but they are all custom made due to their size..

You just don't need the edge you do for wood carving.

This is a down and dirty solution, buy this belt sander then buy an emery belt for it. Frequent licks on the sander is what you want.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-60543.html

My opinion is that the cryo treated steels offer the best bang for the buck. There are some videos floating around that explain the different steels.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-28_23-16-59.png
    upload_2018-2-28_23-16-59.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
It's good advice. Although I have a tormek, diamond stones, Japanese water stones, I most often just use a 1x30 since it is super convenient and quick. You can get belts up to 2000 grit readily and cheaply and if for some reason you really need a finer polish, a leather strip belt will do the trick. I use a 100,000 grit equivalent diamond particle compound which you can have conveniently shipped to your door from China for under 5 bucks.

Back when I was learning to build guitars we would more often than not just use sheets of wet dry sandpaper, wet, stuck to a flat glass square or flat stone tile. You don't need anything elaborate.

Back when I was learning to build guitars we would more often than not just use sheets of wet dry sandpaper, wet, stuck to a flat glass square or flat stone tile. You don't need anything elaborate.

I have a piece of polished granite I picked out of a scrap pile in Elberton that I use for that. Heavy, doesn't move on you.

A lot of people swear by a piece of MDO with some sort of polishing compound. I have never tried that.

Back
Top Bottom