• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

question on how to sell a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
All my life I have never outright sold a vehicle. I am currently in possession of a 2004 GMC Sierra that I am wanting to sell. However, I just got it and still owe on it. Kelly Blue Book says the "good" value is the same as what I owe on it. That is all I am looking to do is break even and get the Bronco I want. The question is, how do I do that? Thought someone on here could help me out.

Thanks.

You can either take it to a dealer and take whatever it is they will offer which you may not like, but will be easier if you can get what you are looking for. If you go the private sale route you would need to figure out what your pay off amount is, which will most likely be a little less than what you owe. You would most likely want to meet at tour bank where the title is held so it can be paid and the title transferred.

It is going to be private party and my pay off is a little less than the KBB value for Good Value. I think it is in better condition than good, but will be happy to break even on it just to move on.

I guess the biggest question is who is the lien holder? If it's a bank or credit union, it would be best to do the transaction there, for the benefit of both parties. Have two copies of a bill of sale, both parties sign each one, get each one notarized by a bank/credit union employee, buyer gives you payment which you forward to the bank/cu for payoff, bank/cu gives title and you sign it over the buyer, all in one sitting. BTW, cashiers check is probably the safest form of payment - if it's all cash, be prepared to mark each bill. Lots of counterfeit **** going around these days.

Last edited:
In addition, you may want to have your lien holder prepare a "lien release" for the buyer. It basically states that the lending institution no longer has a vested financial interest in that vehicle. Reason being, the lien holder may have their name on the title that is forwarded to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom