• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question regarding low cost optics for .22 LR, 50 yard matches

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
We host the matches for the newly formed Georgia Highschool Rodeo Association Light Rifle Team. Most gear I'm already familiar with and reading the rules, feel qualified to help coach the shooters on what to acquire and how to use it in competition. The area where I fall a bit short (because I've been an irons shooter my whole life) is knowledge of mid-tier scopes for .22 rifles. The limit is nothing higher than 9 powers of magnification (we can set dials to lower powers and tape them). Weight is a little concern as the entire rifle with scope cannot weigh more than 8.5 lbs. I noticed on our first match in December, (dark and raining cats and dogs) that a black lined reticule disappears in low light against the solid black target (NRA 23/5) at 50 yards. Even a lit reticule is of little use as they can be difficult to use to repeat a sight picture on a circular target.

What I'd like to be able to recommend is a sub $400 scope (FFP or SFP, no matter) that has a reticule with subtensions in MOA or MRADs, AND has a single red dot at the intersection of the X and Y stadia lines in the pattern. It'd be relatively easy to center a brightly lit red or green dot on a black circle in my opinion (my Nightforce has this as does a Trijicon scope) so I've used them before. Those optics are needlessly expensive (and capable) way beyond what these high schoolers need to compete.

Any suggestions from you guys that fool with a lot of scopes?

Thanks,

This is the only one I know of and a bit more that 400. Maybe some site will give a code to get it closer to the 400.mark?

Eta: here a $499 model

I’d look at Athlon , Element , Arken is where I’d start the Vortex DBT are ok turrets are not as defined and hard clicks like the others are.
Fortunately, this is a specific format match with one prescribed distance so they'd not need to have robust turrets.

I did not read your entire intro but throwing out the sig 3 to 12x44. I picked one up and threw it on a Ruger American and I'm very impressed with the clarity. $120 bucks. Holds zero with a 300 BO

They make a 3 to 9 by 40 as well.

The kids are shooting a target that appears to be a black circle at 50 yards. Especially at lower magnification.

I think a center dot is the way to go.

1705341966016.png

Centering the lit dot at the X&Y intersection of the reticle is much more intuitive to me.

Left is a traditional reticle vs the same with a red dot in the center.

1705342048067.png

A faster sight picture allows more time to adjust for NPOA and fine tuning their breathing/controls.

I may be wrong but I looked through their scopes on that rainy day and it was not easy with black reticles.

Back
Top Bottom