• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Questions on getting a 1968 Winchester Model 94 Illinois 150 year edition refurbished

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Illinois Sequecentinal Winchester Model 94. I am considering getting it refurbished. Here are a few questions.

1. Is it worth getting reblued and having the wood cleaned up?
2. Who would you recommend to get it refurbished with?
3. What kind of cost do you think it would take?
4. It has a few engravings on the side including Abraham Lincoln, will getting it reblued mess the engravings up?
5. Also has the gold trigger, hammer, and madalion, can they be cleaned or refurbished if they are worn.

I've had a few guns Cerekoted and love the way they have turned out. This would be the first one I have actually had restored. Any input would be helpful. I'll get better pictures up tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
Hi Grandall1972,
You know that if you Refurbish (Blue redo the Stock etc.) can make the value of the gun go down. If you are just going to clean it up that's one thing. But bluing is a no no for collecting. If you have some more pics and better ones showing the over all problems of the gun Please do. Some close-ups would be nice. If you like please contact me. I have Skype so I could see it in real time.
Tony Carrier
503/260-3906
netcarrier@yahoo.com

Hi Grandall1972,
You know that if you Refurbish (Blue redo the Stock etc.) can make the value of the gun go down. If you are just going to clean it up that's one thing. But bluing is a no no for collecting. If you have some more pics and better ones showing the over all problems of the gun Please do. Some close-ups would be nice. If you like please contact me. I have Skype so I could see it in real time.
Tony Carrier
503/260-3906
netcarrier@yahoo.com

I'll get some close ups tonight and post them. I'm not sure where this gun sits on whether having it freshened up hurts or helps it. That's why I'm asking. Is there a level at which rough shape is worth less that a refinished good shape.

Commemorative guns usually don't bring as much money as standard rifles unless they are mint condition. They are issued as commemorative so that generally means that they are collected and not in use generally so that means a higher number of them are in really good condition. If they are not, they drop off in value very steeply. A 70% commemorative gun will almost always bring less than a 70% standard gun of the same model.

Below is the Blue Book listing for your rifle.

1968 ILLINOIS SESQUICENTENNIAL 94 CARBINE
ser. no. range IS1- IS37468.
bluebookofgunvalues.com_Images_Subscriptions_Gun_WINCHESTERWCUd288c9194ddfa0e8937435ff828b6a34.jpg

Grading 100% Issue Price Qty. Made
$595 $110 37,468

Redoing the rifle will not diminish the value. The value dimished when it was fired for the first time. Now it's just a using rifle. Clean it up and shoot it. BTW -- I love using commerative guns. The fit and finish is usually much better then the standard ones.

Back
Top Bottom