• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Quick aging a rib roast - suggestions

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
If you could "age" a boneless rib roast, but only for about 36 hours, would you attempt it? How would you do it? I am cooking a rib roast for my family dinner Tuesday night, and just thought it might make a difference. I usually just season them and pop them in the oven. I've used both methods (500+ in the beginning, and then lower the heat, and also just cooking on 375 the whole time), and had good results from both. But if a 36 hour aging in the fridge could improve the taste or quality, I want to try it.

If you could "age" a boneless rib roast, but only for about 36 hours, would you attempt it? How would you do it? I am cooking a rib roast for my family dinner Tuesday night, and just thought it might make a difference. I usually just season them and pop them in the oven. I've used both methods (500+ in the beginning, and then lower the heat, and also just cooking on 375 the whole time), and had good results from both. But if a 36 hour aging in the fridge could improve the taste or quality, I want to try it.
I think that if you want "aged" you should buy "aged"....that said...the last one I did...I did it at 225 for as long as it took to get to 118 degrees...then "browned it on my egg.....best rib roast I've served lately...
:-)Rocky

Not sure you can do much in 36 hours as far as aging goes besides season it and let it sit. For future reference check out http://www.drybagsteak.com

You can dry age roasts at home if you have a garage fridge that you don't open that often.

If you know what you are doing, you can age it 36 hours and make a difference.

Aging is nothing but drying and time.

Put it on a clean towel in the frig. cover with a clean towel, and change both once a day.

People will argue but in an air conditioned house, you could let it sit out on the counter for 36 hours,

Personally, I like the high/low cooking method, although my really good cookbooks say it doesn't make any difference, and it probably doesn't.

If you know what you are doing, you can age it 36 hours and make a difference.

Aging is nothing but drying and time.

Put it on a clean towel in the frig. cover with a clean towel, and change both once a day.

People will argue but in an air conditioned house, you could let it sit out on the counter for 36 hours,

Personally, I like the high/low cooking method, although my really good cookbooks say it doesn't make any difference, and it probably doesn't.
I could hang meat in my house. I LOVE me some A.C. And I'm adventurous. Do you think aging not in the fridge would be better/more effective than in the fridge?

Tell me more....

I think that if you want "aged" you should buy "aged"....that said...the last one I did...I did it at 225 for as long as it took to get to 118 degrees...then "browned it on my egg.....best rib roast I've served lately...
:-)Rocky

This! I think you are cooking it too high.

I could hang meat in my house. I LOVE me some A.C. And I'm adventurous. Do you think aging not in the fridge would be better/more effective than in the fridge?

Tell me more....

Personally, I would have no problem aging in an A/C room, with a towel covering the meat and good air movement.

What a lot of people don't realize is that high quality aged beef (Peter Lugar) will have a little "stank" on it which is trimmed off.

On the other hand, if you are cooking for folks, you probably are better off aging in the refrig. instead of taking the time to give a lecture on the growth of micro-organisms, and the effect of dehydration on them. So I'd go with the refrig.

Personally, I would have no problem aging in an A/C room, with a towel covering the meat and good air movement.

What a lot of people don't realize is that high quality aged beef (Peter Lugar) will have a little "stank" on it which is trimmed off.

On the other hand, if you are cooking for folks, you probably are better off aging in the refrig. instead of taking the time to give a lecture on the growth of micro-organisms, and the effect of dehydration on them. So I'd go with the refrig.
Season before or after aging? And with what?

Back
Top Bottom