• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RadioShack to close all stores, sell half to Sprint

Was in there the other day trying to find the plug that goes on the end of a phone line. They didn't have any and the kid behind the counter was more concerned with popping zits!

It is the end (death) of an era and kind of sad. As a kid I used to think they had all kinds of cool stuff in there... because they DID!
It's definitely not even remotely the same store anymore but I guess it would not have survived even if it HAD stayed the same store. As has been pointed out, the business they used to engage in, successfully, simply isn't there in any quantity anymore. :(

They got DELISTED from the stock exchange yesterday....

I have a few fond memories of the old Radio Shack.

The first memory is with my grandpa going weekly to get our free batteries with the Radio Shack Free Battery Program Card. Those free batteries powered my remote control cars and laser tag equipment for many, many years.

My second memory was years later when I was 17 years old. I was attending a youth conference in San Antonio and our youth pastor decided it would be a good idea to drive to Laredo, TX and walk across the Rio Grande River bridge into Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. Mind you this was in 1989, so it was "not as dangerous" as it is now...but I was approached to buy cocaine and weed by a dude on the street. Anyway, as I crossed the boarder, the first thing I remember seeing was the big Radio Shack building in Mexico and I thought... "Huh, Mexico isn't all that different."

A few years after college, MCM Electronics and Parts Express, both major online distributors of electronic parts, moved to my hometown and I got really spoiled ordering and picking up at Will Call whatever I needed or wanted electronically.

Guess I'm going to make an appearance at the store closing saloffer on all the "bits and pieces" they have.
Yep. I know there have been several people asking about police scanners lately.

This might be a good chance for them to pick one up at a big discount

Back
Top Bottom