• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RCBS Lock-Out Die: Under / Over Load Protection OR a Waste of Money?

Using a powder with the density that allows the case to be almost full has kept me out of trouble. Red Dot and Clays work well for light target loads. Keep the powder hopper full and don't load light with dense powders to prevent squibs.

Using a powder with the density that allows the case to be almost full has kept me out of trouble. Red Dot and Clays work well for light target loads. Keep the powder hopper full and don't load light with dense powders to prevent squibs.

I have been using International Clays, and "Yes" it does meter nicely and fills the case nicely as well.
As for the powder measure, the amount of powder in it can affect what it throws on a consistent basis.
I had a really, really old RCBS that had a "knocker" attached ... Whew, it drove me crazy ... but could be fairly consistent.
The Lee Perfect Powder Measure that I now use is much, much more consistent and much easier to use!
I am considering using a baffle to control the column weight of the powder ... refilling when the baffle is exposed.

Used to have Uncle Nicks baffle template diagrams available ... but the hyperlink no longer works!

Don't ya just love the time-outs on ODT! It's a joy to re-log onto the site every minute or so!

NOTE: I use HOGDON UNIVERSAL CLAYS and NOT INTERNATIONAL CLAYS. Crazy as it may seem, everytime I pick some up I have to double check the attached loading tables to make certain that I'm buying the right stuff ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom