Re-blueing with salts

57offsuit

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
97   0
Reaction score
Ok so I have been wanting to try this for some time now but have been to chicken.

but I really want to try it, so was wondering if anyone else was on the fence?

If so maybe courage in number, if anyone is up for it, I would be willing to try it with someone else and see how we do. We could try it at my place or your but would prefer if possible somewhere else as I have small kids and would just feel safer for the first time trying it elsewhere.

please let me know what you you guys think.

Also I was thinking of trying it on a cheap gun I have, a phoenix hp22, now before everyone starts laffing and hooting and hollering, I figure its so cheap who cares if I mess it up, but I'm not sure it could even be done. I think it some alloy and not steal but anyway if anyone knows if this is a bad idea let me know.

Thanks

If you are using the Blind Hogg recipe, and you are not sure what alloy the hp22 is, DONT stick it in the salts. Best case, you will ruin that batch of salts, worst case it will spit and boil over. Only put carbon steel in the bluing salts.

I fully understand your trepidation the first time you do it, but it's really pretty straight forward and afterword you will wonder why you waited, the results are very satisfying. Just take the same precautions you would deeping frying a turkey. It's about the same danger level. Just Do it somewhere with good ventilation.

Also OP, the beginning of your thread sounds like you wanting to cook up a batch of Meth! Lol

good luck with your endeavor. I am sure you can find an old revolver to test and fine tune your technique on for super cheap or even free!

Ok cool so the hp22 is out, replacement is a p11 slide, does anyone know if the P11 is ok to give it a shot.
Also there has to be someone that wants to give it a shot with me or maybe someone that has already done it.

yes that is by far my favorite avatar

I think Mr. Ott meant polishing it. Surface prep is crucial and for a first go around try a 400 grit polish and try not to remove the stampings or sharp edges. Once you think it's blued enough let it boil another 10 minutes.

The hot bluing sticky above is the most complete directions on using a hot caustic bluing salt method of bluing I have seen.

You can take cold bluing and check the surface of suspect metal, if it won't cold blue you're wasting your time.

Back
Top Bottom