• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaction rod or vise block for uppers?

Initial E

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
Which do you guys think is the better way to go? I have a Wheeler Delta AR Upper vise block but I've heard that some people prefer the Geissele Reaction Rod

I work on AR15 and AR10 platforms and the Wheeler vise block locks both types of uppers but if I went the reaction rod way, I'd need two of them since bolt size is different and I think the AR10 version is grossly overpriced.

So which do yall prefer or thoughts?

I like the Midwest Industries Upper Receiver Rod.

R_MWMI-URR.jpg

Depends on what you’re using it for.

For installing/removing barrel nuts you want to use a Geissele or MI reaction rod. The reactions rod transfers all the force to the barrel extension, which is much stronger than the aluminum receiver. This is crucial when torquing barrel nuts to avoid damaging the upper receiver. I also use it when torquing muzzle devices.

I use both the Geissele and MI reaction rods. I like the MI version for times when I have to put a lot of stress on the barrel. The Geissele is more versatile for installing rails, gas blocks, and anything where you want the ability to “spin” the upper to get at it from any side.

I spend a lot of time pulling upper receivers apart, especially improperly assembled ones. In cases like that, I have to put a lot of stress on parts to get them apart.

The reaction rods are much better tools than the blocks.

Geissele:

Pro's:

• Rotate upper on rod, so installing accessories/rails generally easier
  • Fast
Con's

• Risk of shearing index pins during removal of tight bbl nuts and MD'd.
  • Super reaction rod tries to combat this, but places stress into the port door area
  • Need 2 sizes for small and large frame
  • No notch for the port door latch, so it pops your port door open every time

MI:

Pro's

• Decent price when on sale
  • Helps mitigate high torque situations and reduces chances of damaging components
Con's

• With the fin on, reduces flexibility
  • Still need one for large and small frame
  • Fin does not fit in all uppers. Some, the race ways are undersized and thus, the MI will not fit in the upper.

KAC:

Pro's

• Compatible with E3 bbl extensions on KAC rifles (must use these on Mod1+ KAC rifles)
  • Has steps for AR15 or 308/SR25 pattern rifles
  • Relatively cheap
  • Easy to spin uppers around like the G Rod for accessory installs.
Con's

• Soft, will wear kind of quick
  • One size fit most lugs mean it is sloppier than other rods
  • No relief for port doors. They pop open
  • Hard to find in stock. Second hand, guys ask $250+ for these things. New they are $90-$100
  • Not ideal for high torque applications
Nafarious Arms:

Pro's

• Compatible with HK416/5.56 upper
  • Compatible with KAC E3 uppers
  • Port door relief cut
  • O-ring to take up slop
  • Multi-facet vise side
  • You can spin the upper on the rod
  • You can lock the upper on the rod from underneath (lower receiver side
  • Can take higher torque
  • Good price point
Con's

• Not in stock very often. You half to call/email Beth direct
  • No 308/large frame option
  • The vise shank side is a tad short, so, you need to be careful in 6"+ jaws to not set it too deep as to run the upper into the vise when placing on the tool.

For most people's use, the G rod or MI are the go-to. MI if you have lesser experience as a fail safe in the event you run into higher toque value issues.

Back
Top Bottom