Reccomendations For A New Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonboy140

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
Hi my fellow ODTers. Last year was my first time hunting. I got into it because my oldest son who was 10 at the time expressed a desire. All we did was hunt squirrels with our .22 rifles. It was so much fun for both of us, and we are stoked that this year's season is upon us. I was thinking about branching out to doves and maybe some rabbits this year. So my question is this: What type of shotgun would you reccomend for my son and myself? I have a budget of about $1000 for the two of us. Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

for a great verstail shot gun look for a used ruger redlabel in 20ga with screw in chokes. u can shot dove quail ducks turkey or about anything with freathers and fur up to 20 lbs

for a great verstail shot gun look for a used ruger redlabel in 20ga with screw in chokes. u can shot dove quail ducks turkey or about anything with freathers and fur up to 20 lbs

I don't think he will be finding two Red Labels for a grand.

I'd take a look at a 20 gauge 870 Youth for your son, and maybe a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge for you sir. You should have a few bucks left over for ammo and cleaning supplies.

I'd take a look at a 20 gauge 870 Youth for your son, and maybe a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge for you sir. You should have a few bucks left over for ammo and cleaning supplies.[/QUOTE]

^this you can hunt whatever you want with a 870 and few chokes.

Thanks guys. I thought that the Remington and Mossberg Pumps would be a good directon to go. I did a quick search and at Academy the Remington 20ga youth model has a 26" barrel and the Mossberg has a 22". How big of a deal is the barrel length on a hunting shotgun?

Thanks guys. I thought that the Remington and Mossberg Pumps would be a good directon to go. I did a quick search and at Academy the Remington 20ga youth model has a 26" barrel and the Mossberg has a 22". How big of a deal is the barrel length on a hunting shotgun?

The ONLY thing barrel length will affect past 18" is the swing. A shorter barrel swings faster, and the longer barrel will swing more smoothly. Range, etc are the same. That's all up to your choke tube selection. For a 10 year old, the 22" might be a better option.

The ONLY thing barrel length will affect past 18" is the swing. A shorter barrel swings faster, and the longer barrel will swing more smoothly. Range, etc are the same. That's all up to your choke tube selection. For a 10 year old, the 22" might be a better option.

Ok. That's good. He liked that one best and it was $50 cheaper.
Another question. I already own a 870 tactical with an 18" barrel. The magazine tube has a 6 shell capacity. I found 26" and 28" barrels at Cabelas. They would run me about $200 shipped. Academy has the hunting 870 for $295+ tax. Should I just get the extra barrel and use the one shotgun for both purposes, or spend the extra $120 and have one each for there designated purposes?

I'd get a used 1100 or 1187 for your son, but that's just me. Still have mine from when I was his age and still enjoy shooting it. Wing shooting with a pump and staying on target on follow up shots, especially for new shooters, is hardly a small task and can get frustrating pretty quick.
On your last question, it depends on what chokes are included with that 870 from Academy. It's not clear (to me) on their website.
You'll want and have quick need for the three most common, I/C, modified and full.

To tell the truth I'd look around for a used 870 Wingmaster It's the Caddilac of the sporting pump world and is super smooth.
If you decide to use your tactical then you're gonna need to plug it to 3 shells one in the chamber and 2 in the tube. Also expect a visit from DNR while you're in the field if they spot that extended tube :). to make sure
You can find a much better price on a barrel than that. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good bird barrel for around a hundred for an 870 just make sure the chambers are the same probably 2 3/4" and 3".
Looks like you're way under budget so I'd probably buy a dedicated small game shotgun.

The 1100s if in your budget sure do shoot soft and sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom