Reccomendations For A New Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get a used 1100 or 1187 for your son, but that's just me. Still have mine from when I was his age and still enjoy shooting it. Wing shooting with a pump and staying on target on follow up shots, especially for new shooters, is hardly a small task and can get frustrating pretty quick.
On your last question, it depends on what chokes are included with that 870 from Academy. It's not clear (to me) on their website.
You'll want and have quick need for the three most common, I/C, modified and full.

I'll look into the 1100 and the 1187. Was yours a 12ga or 20ga? How much do the extra chokes cost?

To tell the truth I'd look around for a used 870 Wingmaster It's the Caddilac of the sporting pump world and is super smooth.
If you decide to use your tactical then you're gonna need to plug it to 3 shells one in the chamber and 2 in the tube. Also expect a visit from DNR while you're in the field if they spot that extended tube :). to make sure
You can find a much better price on a barrel than that. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good bird barrel for around a hundred for an 870 just make sure the chambers are the same probably 2 3/4" and 3".
Looks like you're way under budget so I'd probably buy a dedicated small game shotgun.

The 1100s if in your budget sure do shoot soft and sweet.

I just found a new take off 28" vent rib on ebay for $150 shipped, so you're definitely right about finding one cheaper. How would the plug work? Do you have to change springs as well?

I'll look into the 1100 and the 1187. Was yours a 12ga or 20ga? How much do the extra chokes cost?

Good options as well, but might push you a bit past your budget. Chokes are very cheap, $20 or so. With the autos make sure you watch his trigger control like a hawk, it's easier for kids to forget a fresh round has been chambered when their heart is pounding. That and the budget is why I suggested the 870. Ideally I'd look for a nice pair of 20 gauge Franchis..that'd be really slick, but would be over budget.

I have an 1100 in 12 and 20 and had an 1187 in 12. At his age I had just moved up (from a .410) to the 1100 in 20 and loved it. Still do! I also have an 870 (Wingmaster) in 12. I'd personally get a child learning to wing shoot anything but a pump (including a single shot) but again... just me.
Remington brand chokes start around $16 and go up. You can spend on a good bit more on aftermarket chokes especially for things like a turkey (extra full) choke.

Good options as well, but might push you a bit past your budget. Chokes are very cheap, $20 or so. With the autos make sure you watch his trigger control like a hawk, it's easier for kids to forget a fresh round has been chambered when their heart is pounding. That and the budget is why I suggested the 870. Ideally I'd look for a nice pair of 20 gauge Franchis..that'd be really slick, but would be over budget.

That is an excellent point about the trigger control. We did quite a bit of squirrel hunting last year. His rifle is a Marlin Model 60, so he has a some experience hunting with a semiauto. Although, I have a feeling that birds and rabbits may be a bit different.

I have an 1100 in 12 and 20 and had an 1187 in 12. At his age I had just moved up (from a .410) to the 1100 in 20 and loved it. Still do! I also have an 870 (Wingmaster) in 12. I'd personally get a child learning to wing shoot anything but a pump (including a single shot) but again... just me.
Remington brand chokes start around $16 and go up. You can spend on a good bit more on aftermarket chokes especially for things like a turkey (extra full) choke.

I appreciate your input. Would you trust your 1100 in 12ga as a home defense shotty? How is their reliability? Are you able to shoot buckshot in them? I am asking because I am considering putting my 870 tactical up for trade.

I appreciate your input. Would you trust your 1100 in 12ga as a home defense shotty? How is their reliability? Are you able to shoot buckshot in them? I am asking because I am considering putting my 870 tactical up for trade.
I've never run buckshot through mine but I can't imagine how many deer have been taken with them. If it's what I had, sure I'd use it. Mine have been extremely reliable. There are some arguments that not having to worry about pumping a shotgun in THE most stressful of situations is a very good thing.

1100's are fine with buckshot. I worked at a gun shop in NJ out of college and that was the #2 gun of choice for deer behind the NEF 20 gauge Ultra Slugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom