• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recteq B380? Pros, cons?

I bought a recteq bullseye grill about 6 mo ago. We've been very happy with everything we have cooked on it. My only complaint is that there is no easy way to empty the hopper if you want to change out the pellets. Other than that, it seems to be a quality machine & stores easily. A pellet grill is the easy outdoor cooker yet!

I’ve had the 590 for 3yrs now. No issues at all and is the best grill I’ve ever owned. It’s not too big and not too small. Buy it! They are in Evans, GA. Go there and check them out. They have all of them in the showroom.

I've had a 680 since 2014 and a 2nd gen Bullseye for just over a year. A lot of it comes down to how you plan to use it. I bought the Bullseye to sear steaks, chicken and chops after cooking in the sous vide. I like that I can get it up to temp faster than my 680 but I never seem to get as much smoke flavor with the bullseye. I also wish the cooking rack was considerably heavier weight, as it is it doesn't store a lot of heat. I also like that I don't have to deal with a grease bucket on the Bullseye.

I have only tried smoking on the bullseye a few times. The first couple of times it definitely seemed to be cooking hotter than the 225 it was set. I had an auger issue the 3rd time and ruined a bone in butt. It seems to be much pickier about pellets than the 680. If the pellets are much longer than 1/2" it has feed issues.

The other thing is the bullseye very much feels value engineered. I noticed that the shipping box said 70 lbs. I think they kept robbing weight in the design phase until they hit that magic 70 lb number to avoid UPS surcharges. The result is legs feel a little short, the wire shelf seems dinky, the wheels are small, the cooking grate is thin-ish, etc. All in all I'm okay with the bullseye but I don't see it replacing my OG 680.

I've had a 680 since 2014 and a 2nd gen Bullseye for just over a year. A lot of it comes down to how you plan to use it. I bought the Bullseye to sear steaks, chicken and chops after cooking in the sous vide. I like that I can get it up to temp faster than my 680 but I never seem to get as much smoke flavor with the bullseye. I also wish the cooking rack was considerably heavier weight, as it is it doesn't store a lot of heat. I also like that I don't have to deal with a grease bucket on the Bullseye.

I have only tried smoking on the bullseye a few times. The first couple of times it definitely seemed to be cooking hotter than the 225 it was set. I had an auger issue the 3rd time and ruined a bone in butt. It seems to be much pickier about pellets than the 680. If the pellets are much longer than 1/2" it has feed issues.

The other thing is the bullseye very much feels value engineered. I noticed that the shipping box said 70 lbs. I think they kept robbing weight in the design phase until they hit that magic 70 lb number to avoid UPS surcharges. The result is legs feel a little short, the wire shelf seems dinky, the wheels are small, the cooking grate is thin-ish, etc. All in all I'm okay with the bullseye but I don't see it replacing my OG 680.
Great info. Thanks!

I've had my Bullseye since around Father's Day and I cook on it at least 4 times a week. We are a family of 5 and it handles enough food for us and then some. Like others have said, its more of any everyday grill that can smoke really well. There are a few things that its lacking, fofr instance a WIFI monitor. I know why they didn't put one to control the feed rate and such due to the open flame concept, but it would be nice to monitor the temp from my phone, a WIFI probe set up is in my future for sure. Its the same surface area as a Weber kettle so a lot of the accessories for those will fit the bullseye. The best deal on pellets I've found is Sam's and Tractor Supply. Sams has the Smokehouse brand 40lbs for 15.00. They have the competition blend and the 50/50 hickory/oak blend. Tractory Supply has the Pitboss brand for 15.00. A 40ln bag lasts me 3-4 weeks depending on what I'm smoking/grilling. Its the best 400.00 i've probably ever spent. If it went out after the warranty period, I would order one the same day.

I've had my Bullseye since around Father's Day and I cook on it at least 4 times a week. We are a family of 5 and it handles enough food for us and then some. Like others have said, its more of any everyday grill that can smoke really well. There are a few things that its lacking, fofr instance a WIFI monitor. I know why they didn't put one to control the feed rate and such due to the open flame concept, but it would be nice to monitor the temp from my phone, a WIFI probe set up is in my future for sure. Its the same surface area as a Weber kettle so a lot of the accessories for those will fit the bullseye. The best deal on pellets I've found is Sam's and Tractor Supply. Sams has the Smokehouse brand 40lbs for 15.00. They have the competition blend and the 50/50 hickory/oak blend. Tractory Supply has the Pitboss brand for 15.00. A 40ln bag lasts me 3-4 weeks depending on what I'm smoking/grilling. Its the best 400.00 i've probably ever spent. If it went out after the warranty period, I would order one the same day.
Excellent information! Thanks! I had it on Saturday (delivered two days after ordering!) and assembled it yesterday. Easy to follow instructions online. A little disappointed they are out of stock on the covers but I found something at Academy that likely will work.

I'm interested in trying a flat stone or griddle for cooking pizza some time on this grill.

I think I'll try it out for lunch today.

Back
Top Bottom