• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

red dot in 9mm

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
i just picked up some titegroup and love how little is required for both 45 and 9mm... had some left over red dot and had a recipe for 9mm so i figured I would give it a try.

After expanding and filling with powder (starting load of 4.1), i noticed that the case was not full... but full enough that it would most likely compress the powder when I set the 125 grn LRN. I double checked the charge and is was dead on. I didnt feel good about it, so I dumped the powder and stuck with titegroup. Anyone load red dot in 9mm?:confused:

although I believe a solid hipower could handle a bit hotter load than say a plastic framed weapon... i prefer to err on the side of caution. :rolleyes:

When I first started reloading about 40 years ago, Red Dot was all I used for 9mm Luger, a basic Lee Loader (with a dipper)
and you got to beat the case into the resizing die with a plastic mallet! I loaded for a P-38 and ASTRA 9mm: both shot and functioned
flawlessly with the fodder that I loaded for them. I looked at my Speer #8 and it still shows the starting load of 4.0 Grains and
maximum of 5.0 Grains of Red Dot for a 125 Grain Projectile. The Minimum OAL should be around 1.1"

BTW: A "full" case (with seated projectile) isn't a bad thing (it's actually nice to know that it indicates that a double chage will not go unnoticed!),
nor is a slightly compressed load, but don't go below the recommended COL for the projectile that you are loading

I use Red Dot in everything without any problems. Use anywhere from 3.4 to 4.0 in my 9mm 125grain load. 3.4 with 124 grain FMJ bullet makes USPSA minor in a 5 inch 1911 for me.

You can also try either of the following to settle the powder down:
1) touch the side of the case with something that vibrates (old electric shaver)
2) Use a long tube to put the powder into the case (RCBS sells a set)

Back
Top Bottom