• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Red dots on pistols

This guy has no prior military or LEO experience. He must not know how to handle a firearm in any capacity. It’s a shame, they have revoke all of his accomplishments now I guess.

He’s even an irons only kind of guy for pistols.

View attachment 2765264

This guy has no prior military or LEO experience. He must not know how to handle a firearm in any capacity. It’s a shame, they have revoke all of his accomplishments now I guess.

View attachment 2765264

View attachment 2765264

Nobody questions the facts that folks aside from this Mil/ LEO communities are great at their craft just like the guy you threw up here.. Jerry is very accomplished at what he does and his skills are testimony to his dedication to his craft very much so like many out there to include his daughter and folks on this forum, I’m sure .

Nobody says that there are not folks out there that are competent in their craft and able to provide accurate practical instruction. There are many accomplished personnel that do and I don’t take anything away from them.

I’ve never boasted about being in the service other thank my Sig block says it. I’ve never boast about what I’ve done in the service other than trying to help folks out with information concerning the body armor thread.

https://theoutdoorstrader.com/threa...esearch-before-you-buy.2220908/#post-10402807

I don’t claim to be the biggest and the baddest out there or the best shooter ever. However like many of you in your craft doing three gun and two gun and other competitions (which is fantastic. Lots of honing.) I don’t push certain gear like I have seen here. I don’t claim to know all there is to know. I don’t belittle ones kit over another’s kit, we don’t know where people are financially to be able to purchase what is perceived to be the best kit.

Which bringing to a point: Best kit or gear as some may call it( By the way thank you for offering to let me try out your gear) is very subjective, what best or better than for one person and may not necessarily work for another.

Taking to consideration the tried and true triji RMR and RCO’s.

With the exception of the RMR the Triji RCO is battle tested time and time and time again. It has been proven to be one of the most effective and accurate optics that the military has had for Small Caliber riflemen and MG teams.

US Army Military positions (USMC is similar with added members of the rifle squad).

These are all positions of small caliber weapons within a Infantry line squad as well as a Infantry MG team.

x1- SL
x2 TL -R
x2 R- R
x2 GR R/ M320
x2 AR- M249

9 Male/Female Squad

13 total for the USMC

MG team-

x1-SL- R
x2 heavy MG’s 7.62 can elect to use a RCO in a rifleman role rather than a MG role.
x2 AG’s- R
x2 AB’s- R

7 Male/ Female MG section

9 Total for the USMC

Not to mention the enablers and combat multiplayers the are attached during training and combat operations.

However and unfortunately the Army is transitioning from the Triji RCO M150 in the future to something else that is a DVO possibly 1-4x or 1-6x currently being competed. I believe they’re on the tail end of their competition.

The new DVO is going o be phase in to service into late 20 phasing out the RCO through normal attrition.

The USMC has already selected their new optic to replace/ phase out the Triji RCO with the new Triji SCO.

If any of you need to feel like you wants dispute this I will give you he PIC’s that can set you straight... One of my last Progam Managers for the Army not runs PM SW in Picatinny Arsenault in NJ.

FUE is toward the end of 20 and FOC I believe is 23. It’s a fairly aggressive fielding timeline.

Contract award was supposed to be earlier this year. I’m not sure about FUE and or FOC capabilities.

The RMR has been tested tried and true mostly in the sport shooting arena with tons of data points and very few coming from Mil/LEO communities (yes I understand they have contributed however, not to the extent the Sporting community has).

The US Mil will end up with a pistol mounted optic as some point. I do know PM’s at Belvoir are currently running evals as we speak, and no I don’t know who they are evaluating.

It sucks for folks that when facts are laid out and there’s nothing countered as far as factual/ helpful or insightful information for the OP to assist with making an informed decision with and we have naysayers in the thread, information gets sometimes skewed and biases are now thrown in the mix. This skews or can and has the ability to see many people stop processes with:

Information hats antiquated/ maybe relevant to the discussion however some folks are so arrogant that they only possibly believe their own mouth vomit.

Her I. Perception here on the ODT that’s one only want to Polk holes and tear other down to stroke their own egos in an attempt to make themselves took like they are “The best thing since Jesus” and their word is Gospel.

It’s also funny to me that just because the I say so comments are perceived as truth to some without fact to backing them up is somewhat excepted within the ODT community, not the entire community but with some folks within it creating a toxic environment and an unpleasant-place for folks to obtain information from beyond that HS something of reluctance to contribute.

I’ve been a part of ODT for quite some time and there’s a lot of good/ great and fantastic folks here that want to help and then there are others that come in and raise their fist and beat their drums, pound their chest’s, stomp their feet and say this is the way that it is because I say so and that’s all there is to it, absolutely amaze me... as well as the other that have texted me in support of the info that’s I’ve provided.

Since all of this is happened, I’ve gotten 15 texts from various individuals on the trader that have followed this thread and have said thank you for the things that I’ve posted along with a few other members.

My intent I to not brag about any of this. It’s the fact that “we as a community can and should come together, pull facts, put them befor folks and help somebody ultimately giving them fact-based information that will enable them drive to a capability decision in order to make a solid purchase for a widget that will suit their need(s)within their current environment as well as their future environment(s) “whatever that capability is”.

As for the folks that continuously taught and engage negatively, I’m just simply going to ignore them as if they don’t exist.

I truly hope the information that I and others have provided is helpful for everyone that is willing to read, do their own research and make comparisons and draw inform conclusions and ultimately making a competent decision concerning whatever they’re looking for.

I believe in identifying a capability need then doing the research through comparison. I do my own internal Test and Evaluation (T&E) through the help of various companies with loaner T&E items and or other ODT’rs with a widget that will let me barrow for the day and draw my own conclusions in a pairwise comparison evaluation. This is most helpful to come up with a widget that’s right to suit my needs.

Sometimes what you think is the best sometimes is not so much in the outcome of an evaluation.

Anyways: I’ve gotta get back to work for a little bit. If folks have questions please feel free to reach out... If I don’t know the facts of the info your looking for, I’ll do more research for you or put you in touch with the SME’s that can assist.

Have a great day all.
Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bulletslinger101 I didn’t see any feisty attitude. You have been a good person to chat with so far. It’s been an enjoyable chat the whole way though.

I still stand behind this statement also.

I want to reiterate to you I’m not offended or steamy in any way. I actually did enjoy the conversation and don’t think negatively of you. I know the constant back and forth can amount to frustration and spite.

All too often a thread on ODT is completely made of one/two sentence replies, and most of the time replies that have nothing to add to the talk. People view a wall of text as negative, and it isn’t.

We have disagreed on everything, and that’s ok, that’s what conversation and debate is all about.

I still stand behind this statement also.

I want to reiterate to you I’m not offended or steamy in any way. I actually did enjoy the conversation and don’t think negatively of you. I know the constant back and forth can amount to frustration and spite.

All too often a thread on ODT is completely made of one/two sentence replies, and most of the time replies that have nothing to add to the talk. People view a wall of text as negative, and it isn’t.

We have disagreed on everything, and that’s ok, that’s what conversation and debate is all about.

1). Something like what took place on a members thread “looking for advice” hopefully through experience should not turn into anything other than laying facts out for them to make an informed decision about something the community is coming together to provide expertise on. From that point they form their own opinions and potentially taking all info supplied, pursuing a particular outcome (hopefully capability base and not keeping up with the Jones), all the while basing everything off of an informed decision.

2). If there’s debate to be had, a separate forum should be made for everyone to cut up on and hash out differences.

The difference between number one (1) and number two (2) is number one (1) is all fact based information and number two (2) is to debate whatever it is the folks feel like needs to be debated about that topic I guess.

The bottom line is somebody’s form should not be taking over with all of the back-and-forth that was done (I am a part of as well) on someone’s thread.

Have a great rest of everybody’s day!

Respectfully
Chris

1). Something like what took place on a members thread “looking for advice” hopefully through experience should not turn into anything other than laying facts out for them to make an informed decision about something the community is coming together to provide expertise on. From that point they form their own opinions and potentially taking all info supplied, pursuing a particular outcome (hopefully capability base and not keeping up with the Jones), all the while basing everything off of an informed decision.

2). If there’s debate to be had, a separate forum should be made for everyone to cut up on and hash out differences.

The difference between number one (1) and number two (2) is number one (1) is all fact based information and number two (2) is to debate whatever it is the folks feel like needs to be debated about that topic I guess.

The bottom line is somebody’s form should not be taking over with all of the back-and-forth that was done (I am a part of as well) on someone’s thread.

Have a great rest of everybody’s day!

Respectfully
Chris

You keep saying that word "facts," but I don't think there is a full appreciation for what that term means. Some of this very topic is subjective to a degree, especially when considering different applications. Not to mention, OP is looking for opinions.

Bumping this thread because....

Until yesterday, I never shot a centerfire pistol with any red dot optic, nor any firearm with a "micro red dot" that would be appropriate for daily carry on a holstered pistol.

But on Saturday, I went to a TEA party / GOP / Young Republicans fundraiser and political event, a celebration of gun rights, which had a shooting contest.

I borrowed a Glock 17 that had a micro red dot. (I've never owned a Glock, but I've got some trigger time on them).

I took first place in the contest and won several prizes.

Now, I still don't think I'd get any benefit out of a red dot optic for combat type shooting at spitting distance-- like is standard for most real-word gunfights.
But at any distance past 7 yards they let me shoot tighter groups, and probably would double the "effective range" of a handgun when you look at data such as first-hit probability at 15 yards or longer.

1650303964803.jpg

All the dots and all the lumens.

I have been toting a MRPD on my 43X for the past couple of months, and while I enjoy it while shooting, I have concluded it is a worthless concept for me on my carry gun.

I am constantly struggling with it to keep the glass clear. Between deodorant that drops out of my pits, dead skin, hair, sweat, and lint, it only takes a couple of days for the lens to be so filthy is begins to obstruct the view. I understand that I am supposed to keep both eyes open and simply transpose the dot onto my target and not "look through the glass", but a few times the lens has been so bad I question if I would be able to pick up the dot.

I was speaking to a LE friend who told me about one of their guys drawing his gun to qualify and throwing the french fry that had been sitting in his RMR for who knows how long across the range. From what he told me, his department has banned optics on pistols due to the amount of crap they were finding on the glass, and how many were completely obstructed.

For a range gun, I am a huge fan. For a carry gun, it's not for me. If I wanted to have to jack with keeping my gun "clean" every couple of days, I wouldn't be carrying a Glock.

Back
Top Bottom