• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Red dust coating after tumble

Henri311

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
140   0
Reaction score
Just started reloading! My first batch I was impatient and used virgin brass. Now I have to clean brass. Using Lyman tuffnut media. Any suggestions on remedying the red dust coating on the brass. So far I use dryer sheets in the tumbler and bathe the cases in rubbing alcohol. Any easier methods? Other than using different media.

My friend makes dishwashing soap with generic kool aid for the citric acid in it.

I bought a 5 pound bag of citric acid, if anyone needs some, let me know, I'd probably share.

Lemi-shine is citric acid; available in the dishwashing detergent aisle.

And look among the pickling supplies-- it's there too.

Sometimes you can find it among the spice jars. Point being-- it's readily available. And a very tiny amount (a very small pinch) will do, based on my experiences with an ultrasonic cleaner. If I had five pounds I'd be sharing it too-- that'll last many lifetimes.

Try running some torn up sheets of paper towel in with corn cob media; that seems to keep the dust down for me, though I've never had a problem with dust until the media gets very used and gray. I use commercial brass cleaner though; probably overpaying, but it works. I have no experience with NuFinish and so forth.

Vinegar's a bad idea, unless you like pink brass...

Back
Top Bottom