• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

redacted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real sad thing here is that "Bob" didn't/doesn't have a father that taught him jack about handling guns. The post didn't say he got any of his father's guns, just the grandfather's. Where would most of us be if we didn't have anybody to show us the basics? Sounds like he had a father that let him down and a mother whose only knowledge of guns came from the mainstream media. DO NOT take this as me setting aside personal responsibility. That is every man's duty. Just thankful that I had parents that gave a crap and raised me to better understand some of the truly important things in life.

On the gun confiscation thing, I also think it is a shame that more of this kid's heritage is being stripped away due to his ignorance, lack of home training and a mom that doesn't know any better. The fact that the grandfather served this country overseas makes him a pretty tremendous guy right there. Wow, what can be lost in two generations. I just think that when the kid grows up, it would be awesome to know that someone stepped in and saved those bits of his own family history for him to be able to look back on. How many of us have regretted the voluntary sale of one of our dad's old guns? What a feeling it must be to have them stripped away without any choice. I know, I know...his stupid actions, but still we've all been 16 and I know I was certainly lucky to make it to 17 just based on how I drove my old '71 Datsun 510...

All that aside, at least he has the important portions of his neck after an intimate encounter with a 45ACP.

I think the real sad thing here is that "Bob" didn't/doesn't have a father that taught him jack about handling guns. The post didn't say he got any of his father's guns, just the grandfather's. Where would most of us be if we didn't have anybody to show us the basics? Sounds like he had a father that let him down and a mother whose only knowledge of guns came from the mainstream media. DO NOT take this as me setting aside personal responsibility. That is every man's duty. Just thankful that I had parents that gave a crap and raised me to better understand some of the truly important things in life.

On the gun confiscation thing, I also think it is a shame that more of this kid's heritage is being stripped away due to his ignorance, lack of home training and a mom that doesn't know any better. The fact that the grandfather served this country overseas makes him a pretty tremendous guy right there. Wow, what can be lost in two generations. I just think that when the kid grows up, it would be awesome to know that someone stepped in and saved those bits of his own family history for him to be able to look back on. How many of us have regretted the voluntary sale of one of our dad's old guns? What a feeling it must be to have them stripped away without any choice. I know, I know...his stupid actions, but still we've all been 16 and I know I was certainly lucky to make it to 17 just based on how I drove my old '71 Datsun 510...

All that aside, at least he has the important portions of his neck after an intimate encounter with a 45ACP.

You know u just put things into a different perspective for me based on that post. That's the problem with many parents today. So many parents are so hung up on not allowing their children to be around guns that they never learn proper firearm safety which results in trajic accidents. I am the way I am because of the way I was raised. My father didn't do much with me as a child, but I still have the memory of him taking me shooting at 3 years old shooting a modified tec-9 and several other guns. *I didn't really hold the guns myself, my father did while I placed my hand on the gun and pulled the trigger* but I remember being 6 or 7 years old sitting on a blanket outside with a bolt action 22, my stepfather beside me and shooting mountain dew cans until I was out of shells. I grew up around adults that were firm believers in firearms and firearm safety, who carried 1911's on their hips at get togethers and bonfires and would just decide to shoot some rounds. I was always handed a pair of ear plugs, taught muzzle discipline, to check if it was unloaded, and to be sure of my target andhad it pounded and pounded into my head every shooting outing that I ever attended even as a teen. Eventually when I was old enough to start obtaining firearms of my own it literally became such second nature that I am now nearlly anal retentive about safety. I love my guns, I love shootin my guns, and I love sharing my sport with others who have never shot before in their life, and also enjoy showing my guns to my friends. But at the end of the day I don't want to lose any of my friends in the hobby that I love so I make sure that everyfirearm we handle is handled safely.

X2 on user170512. Not saying the kid wasn't a D A. Just thinking of him at 40 with his own kids and now their great granddad's guns are gone. It's a shame.

To sum up this thread: Grandpa stole a service pistol, brought it home and 65 years later his Grandson shoots himself in the neck with it.

My opinion is that Grandpa is lucky he didnt get caught while his Grandson is lucky he didnt kill himself or his friend. Sometimes stupidity and luck go hand in hand.

To sum up this thread: Grandpa stole a service pistol, brought it home and 65 years later his Grandson shoots himself in the neck with it.

My opinion is that Grandpa is lucky he didnt get caught while his Grandson is lucky he didnt kill himself or his friend. Sometimes stupidity and luck go hand in hand.

Geeze! After reading through this...if OP is troll or not...certainly been added to the "do not deal with" list.

Geeze! After reading through this...if OP is troll or not...certainly been added to the "do not deal with" list.

Technically OP was not dumbass but friends with them, however he has been added to do not deal with list just because he's under age and admits to having dangerous friends. Sorry but life's about choices and the people you surround yourself with will give others a insight into the type of person you are. You may be the finest preacher in the world, but if you spend a lot of free time with pimps drug dealers and hookers then nobody will take yous eriously even if you do not partake in those activities.

How much you want to bet all it would take is Mom have an attorney send a nice demand letter to the local PD to get it back.. I would hate to see a piece of history destroyed like that.

Firearm could be recoved Ill bet if Mom does the leg work (she probably wont).

As far as surviving a GSW to the neck, well Im living proof myself. True Story.

Conducted an Air Assault raid in Bayji Iraq (small oil town just north of Tikrit) Came in on a Blackhawk Fireteam, flew out on a Blackhawk MEDVAC.

Long story short. I shot and (thought) I killed an insurgent....He laid there in a pool of his own blood motionless for at least 5 minutes. He has a suicide belt strapped to his waist (very low profile, hardly visible) Word comes down via radio after the mission that they want fingerprints, and photos of KIA. I approach my KIA ( who is laying in a cruled up fetal-like position) and when I get within 5 feet to roll him over, I see in a split second both of his hands jerk apart very fast. I know what's coming and im unable to turn around or even yell anything to my fellow troops, its already too late...He explodes. Literally.

His suicide belt is packed with little 1/4 inch ball bearings that go EVERYWHERE. 5 troops hit, one guy in his ass, one guy through his leg/femur area. one guy his vest stops it, one guy his armpit and mine went straight through my neck, entered the left front side and exited the almost perfectly middle back of the neck. I get MEDVAC'd out. Docs tell me it missed everything vital and im extremely lucky. Im left with an entry and exit scar (barely noticeable) and it took a couple weeks to fully heal up...

Now I know this is no .45ACP but any time a projectile passes through your neck and you live, its pretty lucky.

On the same note, a gunner on a Humvee had shrapnal from an IED hit his neck and it severed his jugular, he didnt make it....You just never know.

Say your prayers, eat your veggies and take on the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom