• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Regular spray paint for guns?

CarZombie

Default rank <100 posts Supporter
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
I have a Super Nova shotgun that I want to individualize by adding some color to it. However, I really don't want to spend the money for the various spray paints and coatings that are specific to gun refinishing. So, I am wondering if any one has used regular enamel spray paint on a gun. I adding color to the forearm, end cap for the extended magazine tube, the mag tube to barrel brace, and some other small parts. Of all these, the forearm would get the most wear. I was thinking of spraying clear coat over the color coat. Any thoughts, and/or personal experience with using regular spray paint on a gun?

Yep, I have sprayed quite a few stocks with Rustoleum camo paints from the local big box stores. It works very well but when spray painting preparation is everything. I'll usually wipe it down with denatured alcohol first to clean and degrease the surface. Also once complete I'll usually seal it with Testors dull coat clear from a hobby shop. You can find it in the model paint section in stores that sell models in a small spray can and it works really well. here's one I did in sponge camo. Heck I even spray painted and sponged the nylon sling.

I did my benellie with spray paint, it was a black stock and blued steel so after a few seasons hunting the coast it was beyond repair on the barrell. Real easy to touch up and I dont worry about scratching it anymore.

Rust-oleum makes a great spray paint they call it "Professional High Performance Enamel" That works awesome . I have painted a few AKs with it and it holds up like a champ. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot its about $7 a can but worth the little extra

I like to use denatured alchohol too and then get it about 200* and spray it a few coats the rub it really well with a microfiber to clean off excess. Have several rifles done this way and the finish is as long lasting as duracoat but thinner and cheaper

Look for some stuff called vht flame proof. It's a ceramic coating used for exhaust headers on cars also on brake calipers. The stuff is easy to use and is pretty damn tough. Only down side is you have to bake it like cerakote. But I just use a small toaster oven for pistols.

Back
Top Bottom