• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on "Blood Guns". The Truth versus Myth. What says you?

RSB

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Tangent of a Whirling Dervish
38   0
Reaction score
When I was younger I learned of blood guns. What is this you ask? It's a gun that has had blood on it's surface that has removed the blue along with with blood once cleaned. This generally leaves the metal surface mirror smooth. One would assume the majority of these occur due to combat or suicide. A good friend and gun smith once told me a true blood gun surface will not accept bluing once blood has has removed the old bluing.

I have seen many with finger prints of missing blue, others that look as if they had been through a long fire fight in a pair of bloody hands. I can't say this is true, but had no reason to doubt him.

For me I may just be a bit superstitious, but to this day I will pass on any and all guns that in my opinion look to be blood guns. I might take a chance if it's a WWI or WWII firearm, but would still probably think twice. That's just my take.

That said, what are your thoughts? What it fact? What is Fiction? What do believe, Real or false? Does it matter to you if it's a blood gun.
Will you buy one? why?
Do you also refuse to buy them. Why?

I've never given any thought to this... though I also strictly look at a gun as a tool... so if it was used in a shooting doesn't bother me.

I don't know. Guess I would pass only if I wanted to make it look nice and this was hindering it.

This is a 1911 that was bought from an evidence sale. It’s not mine, but I tried to buy it from the guy that posted the pictures. It is beautiful. Looks like it came straight out of hell.

Attachments

• IMG_7236.jpeg
    IMG_7236.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7237.jpeg
    IMG_7237.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 72
I deal with quite a few suicide weapons at work. Some you can't even tell, and some have blood, brain and hair stuck to them. The fluids will etch and eat finishes off firearms for sure. I am cautious when touching them at all times.

I passed on a blood gun at a pawn shop. Saw the gun (snub nose 38) for sale in the pawn shop then saw it was gone. A few weeks later it was back for sale. The lady who bought it went home and committed suicide with it. The police gave it back to the son after a short investigation and he took it back to the pawn shop (he had found the receipt where she purchased the gun) and they gave him a full refund of the purchase price due to the circumstances. The only thing different was that the lady's fingerprint was etched into the gun on the left side of the receiver between the trigger and the hammer. The guy at the pawn shop offered it to me at a really good price but I passed because it just gave me bad vibes knowing how the fingerprint etching came to be there. For more back story, the lady lived about a block from the pawn shop. The neighborhood was declining and someone had tried to break in the woman's house recently. The son was forcing his mother to move to a safer house but she did not want to move. She bought the gun and told the people at the pawn shop saying she wanted it for protection when really she did not want to move and went home and shot herself with it. Really sad the way that played out. The son trying to make sure she was safe by moving drove her to kill herself.

I passed on a blood gun at a pawn shop. Saw the gun (snub nose 38) for sale in the pawn shop then saw it was gone. A few weeks later it was back for sale. The lady who bought it went home and committed suicide with it. The police gave it back to the son after a short investigation and he took it back to the pawn shop (he had found the receipt where she purchased the gun) and they gave him a full refund of the purchase price due to the circumstances. The only thing different was that the lady's fingerprint was etched into the gun on the left side of the receiver between the trigger and the hammer. The guy at the pawn shop offered it to me at a really good price but I passed because it just gave me bad vibes knowing how the fingerprint etching came to be there. For more back story, the lady lived about a block from the pawn shop. The neighborhood was declining and someone had tried to break in the woman's house recently. The son was forcing his mother to move to a safer house but she did not want to move. She bought the gun and told the people at the pawn shop saying she wanted it for protection when really she did not want to move and went home and shot herself with it. Really sad the way that played out. The son trying to make sure she was safe by moving drove her to kill herself.
Your experience perfectly pegs my sentiment on owning blood guns. I just don't want the bad Juju.

Back
Top Bottom