• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloaders opinion needed.

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
I picked up a Dillon 650 a little while back and have a 550 also.

I plan on loading .40, .45, and .223 on the 650 and my less shot calibers on the 550.

I am having trouble deciding on whether or not to keep my .40 and .45 caliber conversions for the 550.
I already have them, but could put the money towards a trimmer.

Any opinion from those of you w/ a 650 and 550?

Check out the Giraud trimmer its beats everything, does 3 processes, trims, bevels the outside and inside mouth at the same time. Its not cheap, but a very precise piece of equipment. Buy it once and you are done............

We have used all the others now we own the best..............

Check out the Giraud trimmer its beats everything, does 3 processes, trims, bevels the outside and inside mouth at the same time. Its not cheap, but a very precise piece of equipment. Buy it once and you are done............

We have used all the others now we own the best..............

Yes, and they are good people there as well!
I have a Gracey which is a less expensive predecessor that is
not as attractively packaged, but does the same job.
The Giraud folks makes a replacement carbide blade for the Gracey and
sells it for a really decent price ... they even say nice things about the Gracey!

Regarding the 550 conversions--- keep them for now.

Shell plates, powder funnels, and the brass pins are often useable for other calibers. Dillon sells each part at reasonable prices.

Ex: 45ACP shell plate works for several rifles--308, 243, 30.06, 8mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, ect.
Ex: 40 will work for 9mm if you change the pins, even works kinda good with the same pins.
223 works for 380

357 shell plate is the same as 7.62x39

Regarding the 550 conversions--- keep them for now.

Shell plates, powder funnels, and the brass pins are often useable for other calibers. Dillon sells each part at reasonable prices.

Ex: 45ACP shell plate works for several rifles--308, 243, 30.06, 8mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, ect.
Ex: 40 will work for 9mm if you change the pins, even works kinda good with the same pins.
223 works for 380

357 shell plate is the same as 7.62x39

Good point. I didn't look at the conversion chart to see what else they will work with.

Back
Top Bottom