Rem 6 1/2 primers for .223 & .204 ??

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
28   0
Reaction score
I made the mistake of picking up 2k Rem 6 1/2 primers to load some .223 & .204. After checking my data, it says to use Rem 7 1/2 for these rounds. Seems that the 6 1/2 is used for 22 Hornet....anyone had issues with these in .223 or .204? I've seen other posts with 50/50 go & no go.

I am not not familiar with the Remington primer designations, but assuming one is a magnum and the other is not, the decision will be based on the powder choice.

In General, some powders require more flame to burn correctly.

IE: In my 7mm-08, I use magnum primers with H414 and standard primers with Varget.

The reload books' data is normally tested for safety.

I"ve got both 6.5 and 7.5. I reload 22 hornet and 218 bee though so after I figured that out, I usually just keep them around for those loads. I have used them in 223 loads but I think if you are looking for ideal accuracy or consistency or outright performance (i.e. close to max or min loads) I would avoid them. I have never had one not go back in 223 loads, but I would be pushing the limits with them either. depending upon how much you shoot and what you do with your loads, just sell them or use them for plinking loads.

Loading for bolt & semi auto. I spoke to one of my buddies & he's loaded 6k rnds of 223 with 25.0 gr H335 w no issues. He sent me pics of spent cases & they look fine...

Loading for bolt & semi auto. I spoke to one of my buddies & he's loaded 6k rnds of 223 with 25.0 gr H335 w no issues. He sent me pics of spent cases & they look fine...

I use 7 1/2's or CCI 41's in my AR, Read up on the 6 1/2's over at the black rifle forum and read several members have thousands down range with no issues. For my 22 hornet loads I use CCI 500 SP primers. The 7 1/2's do have a thicker primer cup (.025") safer for free floating firing pins.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Back
Top Bottom