• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 700 308 Takeoff Barrel

khanguyen519

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Takeoff barrel from your Remington 700. I'm looking for a 308 caliber. If you know where I can find it, I'd appreciate it.

404 545 8451

To replace a damaged barrel in hopes people have takeoffs they don't need to sell for cheap. I've looked into Remage and other replacement barrels, but I can't justify the dollars.
The likelihood that it is a straight drop-in fit and that it shoots well is pretty low. Save up an extra month or two and get a remage if you are trying to stay budget-conscious.

The likelihood that it is a straight drop-in fit and that it shoots well is pretty low. Save up an extra month or two and get a remage if you are trying to stay budget-conscious.

I've quoted Preferred Blanks. They're running $550 for a complete replacement. I have a gun shop quoting $175-250 to machine for headspace and install. I think I'll come out with $350 if i can find a blank. The only problem is I might not get a similar barrel contour. I'm inclined to go with a takeoff since $550 is close to buying a new rifle.

I've quoted Preferred Blanks. They're running $550 for a complete replacement. I have a gun shop quoting $175-250 to machine for headspace and install. I think I'll come out with $350 if i can find a blank. The only problem is I might not get a similar barrel contour. I'm inclined to go with a takeoff since $550 is close to buying a new rifle.
Who is the shop?

If you true a Remington action, you are opening the threads on the receiver at the same time, which does not play well with factory threads. The chamber will need to be pushed back, and most barrel contours don't have that much space.

It could work ok, but you could be throwing $ into the trashcan trying to save a couple of hundred bucks. Certainly your rifle, your money and all that. But there are things I wish people would have told me before making mistakes in the effort of being penny wise, that led me to being pound foolish. Just my .02

Who is the shop?

If you true a Remington action, you are opening the threads on the receiver at the same time, which does not play well with factory threads. The chamber will need to be pushed back, and most barrel contours don't have that much space.

It could work ok, but you could be throwing $ into the trashcan trying to save a couple of hundred bucks. Certainly your rifle, your money and all that. But there are things I wish people would have told me before making mistakes in the effort of being penny wise, that led me to being pound foolish. Just my .02

It's Full Blown Firearm in Hampton GA. They've actually quoted $400 for assembly and threading for a mizzle brake.

Why would one need to cut threads to true a barrel? I would imagine turning the barrel to the correct headspace and confirm with go/nogo gauges.

If a takeoff barrel require truing, would a remage barrel require it too?

Did something like this happen to your rifle? What was the result? I appreciate your input, by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's Full Blown Firearm in Hampton GA. They've actually quoted $400 for assembly and threading for a mizzle brake.

Why would one need to cut threads to true a barrel? I would imagine turning the barrel to the correct headspace and confirm with go/nogo gauges.

If a takeoff barrel require truing, would a remage barrel require it too?

Did something like this happen to your rifle? What was the result? I appreciate your input, by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the receiver is trued, the front is squared off, and then the threads cut to align them with the center of the action. This opens up the threads.

The threads on the barrel of a prefit tend to be slightly larger than the factory remington threads. You aren't truing the barrel threads, you are truing the receiver threading.

Ideally, you would true the receiver, and then have a blank cut for the trued receiver. That all tends to run around 1k for a good shop to perform the work. I don't know anything about Full Blown for bolt gun work though.

If you can find a factory rifle that fits your needs, it may be easier to go that route.

Remember, if someone pulled a factory barrel, there was probably a reason.

Back
Top Bottom