Remington 783 - feeds like crap

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I know it is not a 700, and is not as good as many of the offerings by Savage in the same price range. However, I got this as a friends and family deal that a buddy who works for AAC (Remington) let me in on for a stupid good price.

The trigger is excellent, and the gun is plenty accurate. Problem is that it does not feed worth a crap. If you push the bolt forward with any authority to strip a round off the top, it comes out about halfway, and you then have to back it off a bit to allow it to line up with the chamber before closing the bolt. If you don't put some ass behind it, it won't strip the first round.

First thought was too strong of a mag spring. However, the bolt head rides over the last round a good bit of the time, as if it is not high enough in the mag.

I have tweaked the feed lips up just a bit and polished them up real nice. Also tweaked the catch on the back of the mag to raise it up in the action ever so slightly. That has made it slightly better, but still not great.

I have read one experience wherein the owner replaced the magazine, and that appeared to help. Not found much at all so far.

Has anyone else had any experience with this problem in this rifle?

My advice is to trade it in towards a 700. I'm being serious. In the long run you will have a rifle you trust rather than a rifle you had to fix. Wouldn't go into the woods like that.

Actually not much of a bolt action guy. Like I said, the only reason I bought this was the price. Even if I use it as a single shot, it is cheaper than a Handi-Rifle!

Deal or not, definitely the last of their products I will own. From what RamRod posted, it sounds like Remington can't even fix it.

Un****ingbelievable.

All remingtons should come with a bowl of pasta and some wine.
.Because I like getting wined and dined before I get ****ed.

Remington is done . They are turning out more garbage than good these days . Used to be I was a huge fan and now I won't even consider a new one . Sad really

Back
Top Bottom