• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 870 forend help

Radar363

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
So, a while back Ed's in Stockbridge had some police trade-in Remington 870's and were asking $300 a piece. I bought 3 and got a small discount and think I got a pretty good deal for 2 Magnums and 1 Police Magnum that look as though they were shot very little (one bolt looks factory fresh).

The downside: they were all department designated non-lethal shotguns and the original police furniture was painted red. I tried just stripping the paint off to get to the original stain but wound up having to sand down to bare wood to remove the paint. After doing that with the 2 I'm giving to my sons I just decided to replace the wood on mine with a Hogue synthetic set with the shorter stock.

I tried to remove the fore end tube nut with every method I could find online and it will not budge. I tried putting heat on it as a last resort but am not sure I did anything because I didn't want to destroy the wood.
I bought the fore end nut specific tool and after locking it in my vice and turning the fore arm by hand I only managed to twist the tool out of shape. I was able to straighten it out and it does work on both the other shotguns.

At this point I'm thinking that replacing the entire fore end assembly and nut with new parts is my only solution unless anyone else has a fix.

Thanks

I've had mine off several times using a plastic Magpul tool. Sorry you're having such trouble. Maybe destroy the wood and get at the nut with vice grips then replce the nut with a new one. Just spit-balling. Good luck though.

FREEZE OVERNIGH THEN A LITTLE HEAT AND TRY TURNING. ALSO TRY SPRAYING WITH JB BLASTER AND LET SET OVERNIGHT RESPRAY AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT THEN TRY IT. IF U CAN GET A PUNCH ON NUT TAP IT ALL AROUND TOP OF NUT. THESE HAVE ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.

FREEZE OVERNIGH THEN A LITTLE HEAT AND TRY TURNING. ALSO TRY SPRAYING WITH JB BLASTER AND LET SET OVERNIGHT RESPRAY AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT THEN TRY IT. IF U CAN GET A PUNCH ON NUT TAP IT ALL AROUND TOP OF NUT. THESE HAVE ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.
I have not tried the freezer trick but have used a crapload of PB Blaster, Break-Free, Kroil,and some white Lithium grease and it still won't budge. I have tried tapping it and tried the needle-noise pliers method.

Back
Top Bottom