• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Remington 870 sight bead removeal

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
I purchased a rifle "turkey" sight for my sons 870 20ga. I did not see that it said I had to remove the factory front bead for this one to fit. I have now realized that it is not a screw in bead. How do I remove this "pressed" on bead? I am trying not to damage the guns finish. I am not a guns smith, but have done small stuff like this and scopes etc befreo. However I cannot seam to get this thing to budge. It is a vent ribbed barrel. Any ideas? Thanks,

The dremel will leave the base in the slot.

Try using a razor blade on top of the rib, gentle heat to the rib (not enough to loosen the rib, then wire clippers at the base of the bead, lever up using the blade as a fulcrum point and hopefully it will come out intact.

most "later" made Remingtons use a swagged or staked in front sight... sight is placed in a hole then the area around it is peend to hold the sight in place

"sometimes" you can simply use a pair of side cutters under the bead.. hold them gently enough to Not to cut the bead off and try to pull upwards while twisting ...

at worst you will snap the bead off and will need to get the hole drilled out then tapped if your new sight is threaded...best left to a mill

Tape up the rib with masking tape around the bead. Use a pair of needle nose plier to "rock" it out. I removed one like this. I had to "chase" the hole with a tap though, because the hole was not threaded. The tape "should" prevent the finish from getting mucked up. That also depends on your "application" of force.....

I feel like Chris Farley doing the finger hooks in the air with all these quotation marks.

Thanks guys. I tried a few of these but the stubborn little thing would not come out. Took it to a gunsmith the other day. No use in ruining a good, new gun right...

Thanks guys. I tried a few of these but the stubborn little thing would not come out. Took it to a gunsmith the other day. No use in ruining a good, new gun right...

Sometimes it's best to just to stop, I wish I'd had done that on a few guns over the years. Mother said I was bullheaded; I'd like to think I was committed.

Back
Top Bottom