• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Remove Blue and Polish Bare?

Spagett

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
Billion Dollar Director
83   0
Reaction score
I'm about to polish a turd... a 60 year old Chinese turd to be exact.

My Chinese Type 53 carbine is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm going to do to it. This will be my first real foray into full restoration.

I'm not worried about the wood - I can take care of that. I can also clean up all the metal and get it into fine working condition. However, I was playing with the idea of polishing of ALL of the blue and going with bare metal. Now, I work in the metals industry and I know what happens to bare carbon steel when exposed to the elements. Moving parts can be taken care of with oil, ornamental and otherwise can actually be coated with acrylic or poly. My REAL concern is the barrel. Is there any way that you guys can think of to give it a polished appearance without having to oil rub it every stinkin day? Although most polyeurathanes are heat resistant, over time heat from shooting would turn the finish into garbage... oils and waxes would require too much upkeep.

I'm sure the general consensus is that I should leave the barrel alone or at most, polish and reblue. BUT, I'd like to discuss the possibility, the THEORY of keeping a polished carbon steel rifle barrel.

Thoughts?

It's your gun. You make the executive decision.

But I'd keep it original :)

LOL I knew there'd be posts like this, I just didn't expect them so quickly!

I know, my next one will be cleaned up, kept functioning and kept in my collection forever. This one however is going to be my test subject. If all else fails, the metal will be in fine condition for re-blueing.

I polished a 22/45 and never have a problem with rust. Blue does not really prevent rust that well. When you polish it you leave a surface that is smooth and much fewer and smaller surface scratches for moisture to sit... Result... Less rust.

Before.
image.jpg

After.
image.jpg

I polished a 22/45 and never have a problem with rust. Blue does not really prevent rust that well. When you polish it you leave a surface that is smooth and much fewer and smaller surface scratches for moisture to sit... Result... Less rust.

Interesting... do you have anything on it - oil or polishing compound residue?

Last steps were wheel polish compound then oil like i would when it was blued. Did it months ago and the gun locker is in a basement. Not one blemish or rust spot. I don't treat it any different than any other gun. It looks better today than it did in the pic. Last night I degreased it and heated/frog lubed it inside and out even the polymer. Looks and feels better than new and smells minty fresh :)

The more I think about what this rifle could turn into the more I think I may be crazy... I 'll post pics after it's all done so everyone on the boards can say "WTF" collectively. A little ridicule and public humiliation never hurt anybody... amirite?

Last steps were wheel polish compound then oil like i would when it was blued. Did it months ago and the gun locker is in a basement. Not one blemish or rust spot. I don't treat it any different than any other gun. It looks better today than it did in the pic. Last night I degreased it and heated/frog lubed it inside and out even the polymer. Looks and feels better than new and smells minty fresh :)

I'll take your word for it. Afterall, like grandpa always said "You never smell another man's gun."

Back
Top Bottom