• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Removing Hydro Imaging

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
Today I took in a sweet little Glock 19 on trade that had been hydrodipped. I could see in the picture that it was either an OD or FDE frame so I immediately started looking into removing it.

img_2822_2-jpg.359825

I came across lots of information saying that acetone works, acetone doesn't work, brake fluid, bug repellent, etc. It seemed nobody had a definitive answer regarding what would remove it without damaging the gun underneath besides media blasting. The one absolute I found was if the hydro imaging was done wrong, or by an older method than bug spray containing DEET would remove it.

I got the gun home and went to work. Bug spray, Acetone, brake fluid, paint stripper, etc. you name it. Nothing would remove the stuff. I gotta say, this **** is the bomb. Had it never met me the camo would have probably stayed in place forever. Hydro imaging is some tough crap.

Anyway, enough about how tough it is, I wanted it off. After a couple of hours I made a discovery. Water. That's right, hot water and a toothbrush takes it right off like it was nothing. I took the Glock apart and threw it in a pot of boiling water and went to work.

[Broken External Image]:

What I found was so long as the area you were working on was wet, the finish was soft and easy to remove. The second it dries (which it does quickly because the water is so hot) it is hard as a rock again. I did half the frame and half the slide at a time, leaving half in the water and the other half was what I held on to. I held a toothbrush in my other hand and basically wiped the film right off. It comes off the polymer MUCH easier than it comes off the steel.

After only about 20 minutes in the water with a toothbrush.

[Broken External Image]:

Sadly, the people who dipped the gun did a very good job and did the gun right. As soon as the imaging began coming off the slide I noticed they had media blasted the slide before dipping it. The slide took about 30 minutes to get completely stripped.

[Broken External Image]:

Back together
[Broken External Image]:

I will probably just leave it like it is for now. It would appear that the tennifer treatment on the slide is still in place as the slide showed no signs of rust with all I put it through. I kinda like it's dull gray appearance. Perhaps I will take it down to Dobbs and have Frank work his magic on the slide, or perhaps I will just trade off the whole gun as it is.

Anyway, thought I would share.

I liked the camp job, but cool to see you found the magic to strip it. I always wondered.

It was cool, but not my thing. I am not much for that type of thing. Now that I see how tough it is, I think I would have been better off trading it to someone who like yourself thought the camo looked cool. I am very impressed with how tough it is.

I have a Browning deer rifle with a stock I had dipped and it has held up well. A pattern you like that is tough enough to be banged around in a tree stand and get wet in rain is nice. It would take forever to do some of those patterns with cerakote and would probably end up costing way more in the end.

Well done! I do kinda like the way that the slide was left a dull gray. No reason to be afraid to experiment with a Glock!
Did you leave the magazine base plates camo? Kinda think that may have looked cool. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom