• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing a Recoil Spring

+p is such a small gain over standard ammo, it never seemed worth fooling with to me. Just pull the trigger twice for more stopping power.

And aim the follow up shot.

TOO MUCH recoil spring can definitely cause reliability issues.
One thing folks overlook is increasing the recoil spring may reduce how hard the slide slams into the frame, but it also increases how hard the slide shuts and puts a beaten on the take down pin and other parts that stop that forward motion. That is why certain cartridges come with compensators, i.e. the 460 rowland, to keep from breaking other parts slamming forward.

Rosewood

Underwood Ammo website has a sale on:

380 ACP +P 68GR. XTREME DEFENDER SOLID MONOLITHIC

They are rated very high by verified purchasers and have 96 reviews with a total of 4.9 out of 5 rating.

Probably a dozen reviews with people shooting them in a Ruger LCP with no issues.

I found this on Underwood's website under FAQs.

Q: Can I shoot your +P .380 loads in my Ruger LCP (I or II)?

A: You may use our +P .380s in a Ruger LCP in limited quantities with the installation of a 13lb recoil spring. We do not recommend +P use without the heavier recoil spring.

I think that a 380ACP is marginal as a self-defense round.

Most of the listed velocities are with longer barrel pistols.

Couple the marginal ammo with a shorter barrel pistol - LCP -, and it is considered border line effective.

Often expansion of a hollow point doesn't occur, especially if the bullet passes through fabric.
If the round does expand, penetration is often lacking.

Taking these factors into consideration, the solid copper Xtreme Defense ammo makes a lot of sense.

1) If doesn't rely on expansion for causing a substantial wound channel.
2) Passing through fabric doesn't affect its performance.
3) Penetration is reliable
4) This same ammo loaded up an extra 10% with +P, pushes it a little bit further from the border line.

And Lcp's have enough cracking/splitting/detonating in hand issues with weak range ammo.
I am not saying you are wrong.

It is just that I haven't seen many videos of people saying that is their experience. Usually, tons of videos would document a widespread issue like that.

Where should I look for the documentation?

I would honestly like to know these issues from people who have had 1st hand experience.

Back
Top Bottom