*Resolved* AK gas tube assembly jumpy

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT's Official 💩 head!
445   1
Reaction score
Had my son with me on the range the other day and took a slow motion video of him shooting one of my AK’s
I noticed the front gas tube assembly had a little hop to it. I shot it quite a bit the rest of the day. Never had any issues with it. I’m assuming the piston kind of keeps it locked in enough that it doesn’t throw the entire assembly off the rifle. It is locked down with the front tab. Normal? I’m more worried that it’s going to damage the gas block.

F50A144B-7D4A-4079-9576-0BED25BC7D53.gif

Second one is just me rewinding the video.

What does the top of the hand guard where it connects to the receiver look like.
Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The latch and tube both have their flats and it locks in secure. Did you notice anything when you shot it?

I may be overly paranoid. I’m usually the one doing the shooting so I don’t have other videos of my other AK’s doing this.

Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The latch and tube both have their flats and it locks in secure. Did you notice anything when you shot it?

I may be overly paranoid. I’m usually the one doing the shooting so I don’t have other videos of my other AK’s doing this.
Never noticed anything when either I or my wife shot it. If you remove the bolt then close the top cover is it still locked down?

Never noticed anything when either I or my wife shot it. If you remove the bolt then close the top cover is it still locked down?
That's a good point.

I just grabbed it out of the safe. I think you might have indirectly solved the problem.

Looks like if you have the tube pushed all the way forward, it will still latch but not be completely level when locked in.
This is what that looks like.
IMG_20221130_202551.jpg

If I put it back in and slide it to the back, there is an audible click and seems more secure as shown here

IMG_20221130_202629.jpg

That very well could have been the issue in the video.

Back
Top Bottom