Retail Internet Sales Tax for Georgia Residents Starts 1/1/2019

Yeah, back in the 1960s LBJ and the Dems saw that big pile of Social Security retirement fund reserves and just couldn't bear to see it just laying around....funding for the Great Society. I quiver whenever I think of what they would do if they got their hands on baby boomers 401k/IRA money.

Bill Clinton tried with a "one time" 15% tax, but it didn't make it into law.

Under Georgia’s new law, online retailers that make at least $250,000 in sales or 200 individual sales a year in Georgia must either collect and remit to the state sales taxes on purchases or send “tax due” notices each year to customers who spend at least $500 on their sites. If the second option is used, the customer would be obligated to send the taxes to the state Department of Revenue, and retailers would have to send the state copies of the notices to customers.

“We are going to amend what we did last year to reflect some of the new certainties,” Powell said.

That probably means lawmakers will look to eliminate the portion of the law that allows online retailers to send customers “tax due” notices and just force the businesses to collect and remit the levy directly to the state.

If it helps local businesses it's ok. Better to remove all the taxes, but if it means people spending money in their own community I'm for it.

Back
Top Bottom