• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Review: Everglades Ammo 1911 frame rail sanding/stoning tool

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
In my build thread, I'm talking about some tools. I thought I might do a quick review of one here for the Everglades Ammo 1911 Frame Rail Sanding/Stoning Tool.

Build thread.
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/all-this-talk-about-1911-frames.930417/

As mentioned above, I bought this tool to use with the stone/sticks. The process seems to be fairly straightforward, I'm going to give it a try and seen how it goes.
  • Link: http://www.evergladesammo.com/gunsmithing/tools/1911-frame-rail-sanding-tool.html
  • UPDATE: The SAME tool is available here for HALF the price!!! I have not tried it yet, but $35 is a HECK of a lot more palatable than $75. http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=52
    • I can't make any guarantee's on this tool, but it looks very similar.
  • Overall tool looks nice, but there are some pretty significant tooling marks in it that I spent some time buffing out and some really sharp edges/corners that I had to break.
  • For $75, I would normally expect better machining than this or at least better finishing. On the product out of the box, you can run your fingernail down it and it feels like you are going over a zipper.
  • I started out with some 220 grit to knock down the ridges and took it down to 320 and 400 for a smooth surface for the hone. Total time to do that was about 20 minutes and I got to practice with my new glass block to keep things flat/smooth.
  • Didn't realize it at the time, but it comes with a single 320 grit stone installed in it already, which was nice.
  • If you watch the video here:
  • They note the importance of honing oil. I don't have anything special so I just used some thread cutting fluid and it seemed to work just fine.
  • The video also stresses the importance of keeping the stone clean, it does load up fairly quickly, and I found that a little shot of brake cleaner cleaned it up VERY quickly.
  • This is my preferred brand and it's a great general degreaser/ cleaner for heavy stuff: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...erm=brake+cleaner&zoneAssigned=1&prefZC=30043
  • Results/Observations:
    • At the end of the day, it's a simple tool, it's a block with a slot and 3 threaded holes. If you have the tooling, you could make this for a LOT less than $75, I'm sure.
    • BUT it's square. It works. and the company ships FAST.
    • So if you need one in a hurry, probably worth the coin. I don't regret the purchase.
    • It works, and it works WELL if you don't have a mill. It will give you a clean consistent cut on your rails and it'll keep them square. I like it and I would recommend it to neophytes who aren't sporting a mill.
    • Note: the pics are AFTER I polished out the tooling marks.

Last edited:
it's a great idea.. I have an aluminum block that I have layout setup for this up next time I get near my mill

easy to make.. only issue is what size stones you'll be using. I set mine piece up to use 1/2" X 6" stones as that is what I most often use

you can also use a plain block and cover it with sandpaper or emory cloth

on your stones keeping them is a honing oil when not in use will help them quite a bit. plain old hydraulic oil works well. the 32 grade is what I typically use

it's a great idea.. I have an aluminum block that I have layout setup for this up next time I get near my mill

easy to make.. only issue is what size stones you'll be using. I set mine piece up to use 1/2" X 6" stones as that is what I most often use

These are setup for the same thing 1/2 X 6, and I ordered a bunch of other stones in that same size as well. When you say keeping them in honing oil, are we talking a light coating to store, or pickle it in oil when not in use?

Thanks for the idea on the hydraulic oil! I HATE buying "boutique" fluids where you shell out $10 for an eye-dropper of whatever. There are a LOT of things out there that work JUST as well for the average consumer that are a HECK of a lot more affordable.

I generally keep all mine better ones in oil all the time. clean them first though or it will get nasty.... simply use latex gloves .

for Arkansas stones you can use good old water...

Back
Top Bottom