• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Target Gun

UPDATE!

Well, just because it looked so good in the S&W brochure, I had to mimic the picture.

I'm sick... really sick. Can someone please help me! Please!

Nice. Looks like it shoots well with it too.

Any issues with swapping the rear sight out for the rail?

I really liked the fact that it was all included with the gun, instead of having to buy it separately.

Nice. Looks like it shoots well with it too.

Any issues with swapping the rear sight out for the rail?

I really liked the fact that it was all included with the gun, instead of having to buy it separately.
Very very simple. One single screw that holds on the rear sight is also used to mount the rail. The rear part of the rail slides under a little tab built into the frame. The rail also has a built in rear sight notch if you want to remove the optics.

Oddly, Smith did not included an Allen wrench to fit this screw. It's a different size than the one I broke before.

Total swap out time was about a minute.

Look what I got in the mail today! My new screw and Allen wrench.

Thanks Smith & Wesson! That was a lot quicker than their email indicated it would be!

IMG_20160227_150635181.jpg

Look what I got in the mail today! My new screw and Allen wrench.

Thanks Smith & Wesson! That was a lot quicker than their email indicated it would be!

My guess is you weren't the only one... glad to see they came through for you. I'm sure they don't want to pissoff the early adopters.

That address brings back memories. When I was in college (early 80s) out in western MA I spent a summer working there as a contract security guard. Of course I was in my college 'guns are evil' phase that so many college kids get brainwashed into, so I had no idea of how cool it was to be working there.

The area was a cesspool though... and of course being a contract guard I wasn't allowed (or at that point wanted to) carry a gun, even though I was working in a gun factory.

The irony...

toobaroque toobaroque - Boy you were right about this gun!

I gave my wife hers for her birthday this weekend and we went right to the range. (She hasn't done much shooting and has just started joining me.) Well it worked great there wasn't a single hiccup and her confidence level soared. She was shooing it at 25 yards on an IPSC target by the end of the day and rarely a round made it out of the "A" zone.
She had a broad smile on her face and we had a damn good time.
She even let me shoot it some, lol.

toobaroque toobaroque - Boy you were right about this gun!

I gave my wife hers for her birthday this weekend and we went right to the range. (She hasn't done much shooting and has just started joining me.) Well it worked great there wasn't a single hiccup and her confidence level soared. She was shooing it at 25 yards on an IPSC target by the end of the day and rarely a round made it out of the "A" zone.
She had a broad smile on her face and we had a damn good time.
She even let me shoot it some, lol.
Congratulations... both on the gun and you being able to resist a "pre-birthday" trial run. Good job on all accounts.

Let me know what she has her heart set on next. I could give you the low-down on that one, too!

Nice review, like all the details. Just bought one, 2nd hand. It'll probably be a while before I get a chance to shoot it.
After your experience, I'll have to try to be sure I can disassemble it.:)

Even if the gorilla tightened yours down too, it's still gotta be easier to field strip than a Ruger Mk II/III.

BTW, I just ordered the Volquartsen barrel for mine. I knew I'd regret not waiting for the threaded barrel model to show up, but the VQ barrels look so good I don;t think I'll even mind having a 'spare' barrel kicking around.

Even if the gorilla tightened yours down too, it's still gotta be easier to field strip than a Ruger Mk II/III.

BTW, I just ordered the Volquartsen barrel for mine. I knew I'd regret not waiting for the threaded barrel model to show up, but the VQ barrels look so good I don;t think I'll even mind having a 'spare' barrel kicking around.

Congrats on the VQ barrel. Which one did you get? Pics are always welcome spencer60 spencer60 .

The Ruger takes about 5 minutes total to take apart and reassemble once you've done it a time or two. Mark II is actually easier than Mark III.

The Victory is significantly easier!

IMG_20160513_212256929.jpg

Takes about 5 minutes total to take apart and reassemble once you've done it a time or two. Mark II is actually easier than Mark III.

The Victory is significantly easier!

View attachment 788253
So far, this is what I have to show for trying to take it apart (the black one):
SW22_TryToStrip1.jpg

(It wasn't originally spiral, it looked just like the other.)
After your experience I didn't use the one that came with it - hoping I can keep it with the gun, if I ever get it loose. If I can find a socket of the same size, I may try it with a short piece of allen wrench (might as well use this one, if there's a piece straight enough).
All the smaller screws came loose fine.

BTW, I did learn that if you remove the left-side grip panel, watch out for the slide lock coming out. Luckily I didn't lose it and got it back in right.

Back
Top Bottom