• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Target Gun

Or maybe you got one like they provide to those who write reviews, they never seem to have a problem (current company exempted :-).
I, on the other hand, must'uv gotten toobaroque's's twin.
Hopefully when it breaks, it won't break.
Well, I finally got mine apart.
SW11_Stripped.jpg

Had to buy a real tool first (the impact bit set shown).
I was going to say the sad part was that Home :censored:pot doesn't sell single wrenches or bits this size, but I apparently was looking for the wrong size (the sight/grip size). So I guess it's a good thing I had to buy the set.
It came apart with a small socket wrench, didn't even have to hold it in a vice.

So, my Volquartsen barrel finally made it. Here's a really bad pic of it I just shot. I'll try and do some better ones later in a day or so, after I've had a chance to test it a bit.

It took longer than expected, almost 5 weeks, but they emailed me letting me know their initial estimate of 2-3 weeks was way behind. I'm guessing it was strictly due to demand, since I'd seen reviews of the product out there and I knew they were shipping real units. Great folks to deal with though, and I'm hoping the barrel was worth the wait.

It did install easily, just like it was supposed to. The front sight transferred over easily as well. I always worry when dealing with tiny screws like that, especially given people's experiences with the take-down screw, but it swapped over fine. If you use the red dot, the barrel is shipped with a small plug that screws into the hole.

It looks better in person than the pic I snapped. The machining and fit is amazing and the heavier barrel definitely brings the weight of the gun forward a little bit compared to the stock barrel. The balance point seems to be just a little behind the trigger now, where it would be if you'd just fired the gun.

My only critique on this barrel so far is that it has a very high polish, versus the matte stainless of the gun itself. It looks OK, but it doesn't match as well as the factory barrel. Not a big deal for me, but something to be aware of if esthetics are a big deal to you.

SW Victory wVQ Barrel 004.JPG

Here's some results. These were both shot at 10 yards using my range bag as a rest.

This one is with my suppressor attached, which actually tightened up the groups a noticeable amount. Ammo is CCI Standard Velocity.

Victory Supressed.JPG

And this one is without the suppressor, using Aguila Super Extra ammo. The flyer is my fault, not the guns.

Victory unsupresses.JPG

Here's some results. These were both shot at 10 yards using my range bag as a rest.

This one is with my suppressor attached, which actually tightened up the groups a noticeable amount. Ammo is CCI Standard Velocity.

View attachment 839441

And this one is without the suppressor, using Aguila Super Extra ammo. The flyer is my fault, not the guns.

View attachment 839444
SEROUSLY liking these results! Thanks for sharing. How much does your suppressor weigh? What dimensions?

SEROUSLY liking these results! Thanks for sharing. How much does your suppressor weigh? What dimensions?

It's an SWR Spectre II. Here's the specs from the SilencerCo site...

CALIBER
.22LR
.17HMR
.22 MAG
.22 WMR
.22 Hornet
5.7mm

WEIGHT 6.8 oz
DIAMETER 1.00″
LENGTH 5.98″

MATERIALS
Stainless Steel

MUZZLE AVERAGE
.22LR: 113.8 dB
.17HMR: 123.3 dB
5.7MM: 125.8 dB

Just to bring this most excellent thread back from the dead... had to post a pick of the latest update to the Victory.

Found some pics of these on line, and ordered them from Bulls Eye Grips via Etsy no less. (https://www.etsy.com/listing/458069532/sw-victory-grips-with-thumb-rest-oak?ref=hp_rv).

I almost always go for Rosewood, but these Oak grips seemed to 'fit' better with the Victory. Got them on the pistol tonight and they feel amazing. While the factory grips are actually pretty good for mass-production, the extra surface area, the thumb rest and the checkering all make these a huge improvement.

SandW 22 002.JPG

Just to bring this most excellent thread back from the dead... had to post a pick of the latest update to the Victory.

Found some pics of these on line, and ordered them from Bulls Eye Grips via Etsy no less. (https://www.etsy.com/listing/458069532/sw-victory-grips-with-thumb-rest-oak?ref=hp_rv).

I almost always go for Rosewood, but these Oak grips seemed to 'fit' better with the Victory. Got them on the pistol tonight and they feel amazing. While the factory grips are actually pretty good for mass-production, the extra surface area, the thumb rest and the checkering all make these a huge improvement.

View attachment 1033140
Ok, I appreciate you posting up a fabulous picture... but I hate you for providing a link to where I can order a pair. I JUST paid off my credit card TODAY!

Dang nice looking unit. How does the VQ barrel feel compared to the original? Is the front end any heavier?

I was pretty happy with my latest foray with the Victory, especially since I haven't shot it since late October. But I'll tell you, it's hard to beat my 617 revolver with the FF3 on it. I'm just wondering if the grips and barrel on the Victory might make the gun easier to maintain the sight picture?

IMG_20170116_220216755.jpg
IMG_20170116_220814843.jpg
IMG_20170116_221612330.jpg

Nice shooting. I just picked up a new 617 myself, but my offhand groups sure aren't aren't like that!

I haven't had a chance to try the new grips at the range yet, but I'll post up when I do. I don't know that they will make a huge difference, since the factory ones are actually pretty good.

As for the VQ, barrel, according to my postal scale it's actually about an ounce lighter than the factory one without the comp (11 oz vs the factory 12 oz). However the comp would add 2 ounces right at the end, so it might be what you are looking for.

I'm also thinking I may bring the old barrel and do a little side-by-side testing. I mainly bought the VQ barrel for the threading, but I'm hoping it's more accurate as well.

Back
Top Bottom