Rifle refinish , help me decide

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
I'm going to be refinishing my hunting rifle this spring and can't make up my mind. Should I have it cera-coated or parkerized? I'm looking for suggestions based purely on basis of toughness, price is not a consideration. Also, if I park it, can that finish be treated with froglube? Can it be soaked with froglube instead of oil, since f/l breaks petroleums down?

Ok I'll go a little more in depth now, I was on my phone at work earlier.

It's a tang safety Ruger M77, so there is no collector value to it. The original blue finish is gone, completely. This is my main hunting rifle, the one I grab before all others for deer and coyote, and it gets put through the ringer. My hunting days are limited due to my work schedule, so I must go when I get the chance no matter what the weather is. What I want is the most durable matte finish I can get, the one that will hold up to bangs and bumps, rainy days and muddy four wheeler rides for years to come. The rattle can has worked fine for a couple of years now, but its time for something more permanent.

I like the idea of the Cera-Kote, but I worry about chipping or flaking if it were to be hit hard enough in just the right way. Sounds pessimistic, but I know me. I love parkerizing, and was completely sold on going that route until I found Froglube. I know that when parkerizing is done, the rifle must be slathered in oil until it stops soaking it up. Can F/L be substituted for oil?

I like the idea of a finish that is in the metal rather than on the metal, but now there is the issue of whether or not I can treat it with my new preferred product.

Cerakote will neither chip or peel if applied correctly, it will scratch if hit hard enough just like a parked finish. Frog lube would work for both. I would choose based on the look you want to acheive, both finishes are good choices.
I like Cerakote, because of the color choices, but I am biased as I spray a few guns a week with it.
Kg gunkote has a park alternative, dont use it.

I saw that thread and it looks doable. But I don't have blasting equipment and my wife cooks way too good to do anything that might make her not want to use the stove.

I also plan to have the barrel cut down to 20" and re crowned at the same time, so it will be spending a little time with Brian Ott anyway.

If you want something that get's in the steel then you may check out the Teflon Moly from Brownells. It does get into the steel and it's a very good finish that gives excellent protection but it doesn't wear like Iron and hold up to the kind of abuse you're talking about. I'm not sure there is much that does unless you're ready to spend some coins on a Birdsong black T or something.
Unless selling it and buying stainless is an option I believe the rattle can is probably the best option for a beater. that or re bluing with one of the home kits.
If you're tired of the current look maybe check into a different rattlecan paint job. I have become very fond of the sponge camo patterns, lots of videos and info on the web of different camo jobs.

Back
Top Bottom