• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rifle refinishing.

bxtreme24

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
So I have my father-in-law's rifle. Its a Winchester 290 .22. He passed away a few years ago and this was his only gun and he had it for 30+ years. Its only worth $200 or so but because of the sentimental value I want to put some money into it. I would like to have it engraved, reblued, re-jewl the bolt, and refinish the stock.
Is there a "good" one stop shop for all this locally? And how much should I expect to pay?

Deer creek near the marietta civic center has done a couple for me.

They came out great! (I highly recommend them-their gunsmithing is good. And their shop is full of all sorts of unusual odds and ends-good place to poke around.)

Might check with AP&W over in Alabama.

I actually worked for Bob Cogan about 13 years ago when AP&W was in Safety Harbor Fl. Tough man to work for but I learned a lot from him and not just about guns. I wanted to keep it local but I just might have to make the drive and see how my old boss is doing after all these years.

Last edited:
Deer creek near the marietta civic center has done a couple for me.

They came out great! (I highly recommend them-their gunsmithing is good. And their shop is full of all sorts of unusual odds and ends-good place to poke around.)

Ill have to check them out if I stay local. Thank you for the advise.

So I have my father-in-law's rifle. Its a Winchester 290 .22. He passed away a few years ago and this was his only gun and he had it for 30+ years. Its only worth $200 or so but because of the sentimental value I want to put some money into it. I would like to have it engraved, reblued, re-jewl the bolt, and refinish the stock.
Is there a "good" one stop shop for all this locally? And how much should I expect to pay?

If you want it restored to like new or better I'd go with Steve Parsons. He has a master engraver he farms out to if you know what engravings you want.

i46.tinypic.com_2vwhd7k.jpg

Cost will be determined mostly by engravings as this can become expensive. The blue should be around $175-$200 with metal work (sand/polish). The wood I'm not sure on. The bolt shouldn't be too much.

Last edited:
I like Zack and the guys at Deer Creek, I use David Bilbro in Kennesaw he has done awesome work for me in the past and is currently hot rodding a new 1911 for me. He does long rifles and 1911's he also does some impressive engraving, he is not the cheapest guy in town but one of the best. IMO
SATCO. Business Type: FFL Transfer &. Phone 1: (770) 423 - 0763. Address: 1631-B Lucy Drive Kennesaw GA, 30152.

Back
Top Bottom