Rifle Stock Treatment

RAY

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
76   0
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I bought a used rifle a few months ago. This rifle has a wooden stock. My question is, the stock/wood seems to be very dry. I am wondering if anyone has some tips on what they use for this problem. Any help will be appreciated....Ray

Last time I did one I rubbed in a ton of Linseed oil and it turned out good, but my fingers hurt.
I seem to remember seeing small bottles meant just for rifle stocks somewhere if you want something blended specifically for the job.

The thing with wooden rifle stocks is they can change point of impact because wood swells and shrinks depending on humidity and weather conditions. sealing out the moisture can help prevent this. A hand rubbed tru oil finish looks very good and helps seal out moisture. It's available branded through Birchwood Casey in small bottles or as part of a stock refinishing kit. Several local sporting goods stores carry it and I've also bought it from Wal mart. If you cant find it locally check at brownells or midwayusa online

Tru-Oil is more or less nothing more than tung oil with some other additives. I have used a mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, mixed 50/50, in the past to refinish my stocks or to just freshen them up. This past summer I found Howard's Feed-N-Wax and am really pleased with it.

Using the linseed oil worked great, but it left a smell that took some time to go away, the Howard's didn't.

Tung oil & linseed oil are great. Liberon Finishing Oil is even better IMO. It's not cheap...but it's tougher than regular oil finishes since it is basically a 'danish oil', meaning it has varnish mixed in. Definitely will keep moisture out...and easy to fix if you manage to scratch it.

Back
Top Bottom